Avet tip for heat of battle

Started by japeto, July 15, 2017, 10:57:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

japeto

So you have an Avet with the ratcheting lever.  Yes, the kind where you need to push a button to advance from "strike" to "full".  Not sure if this has been shared before, but you can advance from strike to full by simply giving the lever a firm push past strike without pushing the button.  Sure, it only takes a second to push the button.  However, every second counts when you have a trophy fish on the line.  When you have sweaty, slimy hands and a big fish hits, you don't have a second to spare. Just be aware that you can safely advance from strike to full without harming the reel one bit.  Just push past strike when needed. Try it at home to verify what I'm saying.  Be interesting to read your observations.

Of course, if your fish is pulling large amounts of line off the reel DO NOT increase drag.  In fact, you may want to back off a bit.  

MarkT

I've never felt the need to go past strike even when the tuna is doing circles and won't come up. I set it to 33% of line rating at strike and stop there.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

japeto

Quote from: MarkT on July 16, 2017, 12:15:11 AM
I've never felt the need to go past strike even when the tuna is doing circles and won't come up. I set it to 33% of line rating at strike and stop there.

Ok fine. Good for you. My post was for those who find themselves in situation where they do need to go past strike.

mahfudzmn

I have a few non-avet reels with that feature but you'll need to push the button to advance the lever to full/max. I've thought about why it is so but never made sense of it. I do feel that it's not desirable having to press the button to go  to max

I do prefer the reels that don't have those buttons such as my JX and MXJ, to me the 'stops' incorporated into the cane profile is distinct enough I know exactly when to stop. This is something that I really appreciate and love about my Avets, some cheap reels I have like the Poseidon and low entry Omoto doesn't even have distinct stop at the Strike position...

MarkT

The button keeps you from going to full in the excitement of battle by accident.  It's easy to go to far with some if you're not looking at the reel when you're advancing the lever. I have both kinds and prefer the button.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!