Tld 10 parts in the UK

Started by aquabell, July 16, 2017, 08:13:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aquabell

Can someone give me a steer on parts for my reels? I know lots more choice in the US, but duty, carriage, exchange rates etc. make importing small consignments a real pain.

Cheers Steve

braz13

Hi Steve
I've had the same issues keeping my 10's and 5's going. I'm not aware of any stockists of new parts in the UK.
I have found some parts interchangeable from the Charter Specials and the TLD 15.
As far as costs go I wait till I need around £100 worth of parts and buy from the US, I've found it works out cheaper than from the UK.

What parts are you needing.

Cheers
Brian

aquabell

Hi Brian, thanks your reply, don't need anything major or urgently, but am servicing 5 10's, 1 15, 2 20's at the moment, have got 2 charter specials and another 10 to do. The tens are the potential issue, but have been buying in a few old reels recently, so I can have a spare reel available to allow me to fix any breakdowns. One of the reels I have just started to service, which I recently bought in has had superglue fired into the sideplate screw holes! The guy told me it had been recently serviced, so he would have known about the stripped threads! Paid top money for it too....................new frame would be nice!! ;D

braz13

Steve
Had a few frames with damaged/worn screw holes, lots of methods on here, I tend to go with a slightly oversized stainless self tapper, care is needed as the top screw hole can split on the outside edge. One of my own regularly used 5's has had oversized screws for years now, as long as not over tightened should be no issues, also when starting the screw I always turn slowly anticlockwise till I feel the thread dropping in so it doesn't try to cut another a thread thus weakening the existing material.

As far as new frames go I don't think there are any, only chance is the big auction site for second hand one, or a donor reel and even these are getting expensive.