Careful with this stuff!

Started by JRD, July 16, 2017, 10:15:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD

I've used simple green for the last three years with no issues.  Get it all over your hands and you just get clean hands.  It works overnight to get oxidation off brass great.  I tried this Purple Power, it's 50% cheaper and it worked fast.  But I reached in the jar to get the parts out and even after washing multiple times my hand still feels burnt.  I don't even get that reaction with paint thinner or laquer thinner

But it worked fantastic for getting the stains and oxidation off of brass parts.

Just a heads up!

Fishy247

I used to use a similar product to remove the soot off the stern of the partyboats I worked on in FL. Very nasty stuff! It basically sucks all of the oils out of your skin. Try using some moisturizing lotion on the effected areas.

Mike

foakes

Keep it off your skin -- use gloves, tongs, beakers, etc..

Wash hands immeditely if contacting your skin.

Works well though.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

JRD

mikeysm

I believe it has sodium hydroxide as a ingredient or something similar.  It will dissolve aluminum if you leave it on to long.

Mike

ez2cdave

http://msdsdigital.com/purple-power-cleaner-msds

MSDS for "Purple Power Cleaner / Degreaser" below in PDF format.

Tight Lines !

Tightlines667

No wonder it cleaned the parts so quickly! 

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

alantani

i remember this stuff from working at poison control.  one of the purple powers has just butyl cellosolve, which is a relative low toxicity glycol ether and should not burn.  you find it in windex, and 2 year old kids drink windex all the time and they do fine. 

the other purple power formulation has sodium hydroxide (lye) and sodium metasilicate which breaks down to sodium hydroxide.  these will burn.  the concentrations were not specified, but i recall them being 5-6%, which is the same strength as easy off oven cleaner.  either way, be careful with this stuff. 

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/78/78e356c0-ce18-4571-b5e5-aa835716f9c1.pdf
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ez2cdave

Alan,

Thank you for the expert info . . .  I was hoping that you would post !

Tight Lines !

paulo57t09

I used to use a similar product that was labeled as Castrol Super Clean, which I haven't seen in years.  I'm pretty sure it's the same stuff as Purple Power.

Just to second the warnings about skin exposure.  Even after washing off with soap and water, my hands would still feel "soapy" after rinsing.  A sure sign that your skin is deteriorating.  Peeling skin should begin in a day or two and last for a few days.

JRD

I just decided to quit using it, too much hassle with gloves and tweezers, not to mention the dog and bird always getting involved in reel repair.  I just switched back to simple green, it's more expensive and takes a little longer to clean parts but at least I'm not dissolving my fingers every time I use it.