TLD 10 Sideplate Screw Threads

Started by aquabell, July 17, 2017, 07:00:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aquabell

Was servicing one of the TLD 10's I recently bought in, and found a couple of the sideplate screws had been superglued in because a previous owner had stripped the threads in the frame  >:( >:( is there a fix for this or will I be reaching for that little tube as well?

ScottOz

Think I have seen on the site somewhere(maybe one of Alan's tutorials) the use of a thin strip of aluminium or brass inserted in to the hole then screw as normal. Soft drink can perhaps.

aquabell

Quote from: ScottOz on July 17, 2017, 08:26:06 AM
Think I have seen on the site somewhere(maybe one of Alan's tutorials) the use of a thin strip of aluminium or brass inserted in to the hole then screw as normal. Soft drink can perhaps.

Yep, that could work.  :)

Cheers Steve

handi2

Thin strip of aluminum or stuff the hole with bronze wool.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Gfish

Did the super-glued screws come out without damage? What about a giant dose a blue
Loctite?
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

aquabell

Yes screws came out with a little gentle persuasion, I daresay loctite would work too, was trying to avoid damaged/broken screws or writing off the frame?

day0ne

Shimano used to have some oversize screws that fixed this problem. Call them and see if they still have them
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

aquabell

Thanks very much, will do.

Cheers Steve