Triton Troller 50 and 50W

Started by Sea Witch, July 18, 2017, 03:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sea Witch

I have a full set of the reels 30-80W from the mid-late 1980s.  Reels have caught tons of fish and have performed well for Mid Atlantic offshore fishing.  I typically spool straight mono in line class.  This weekend I had 2 separate reels bind up while tuna were being fought.  The handles would not spin but I still had drag and free spool.   I am not sure of the cause but was curious if anyone had any thoughts.  More importantly, is it time for me to look into new reels given their age and scarcity of parts?  Thanks

josa1

Hi seawitch,

I would open them up, do a complete service, repair what needs to be repaired, and fish them for at least another 5 years.

Can't believe there's much wrong that a little TLC won't take care of.

josa1

Shark Hunter

The Triton's have some kind of rubber drag disc that is problematic as they get older and it dries out.
That is the only reason I don't have one.
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Quote from: Sea Witch on July 18, 2017, 03:05:15 PM
I have a full set of the reels 30-80W from the mid-late 1980s.  Reels have caught tons of fish and have performed well for Mid Atlantic offshore fishing.  I typically spool straight mono in line class.  This weekend I had 2 separate reels bind up while tuna were being fought.  The handles would not spin but I still had drag and free spool.   I am not sure of the cause but was curious if anyone had any thoughts.  More importantly, is it time for me to look into new reels given their age and scarcity of parts?  Thanks

Are these the 2-speeds?

If so they may need Tue silicone disc replaced with a burly rubber disc.  While you are in there, I would upgrade the canvas drags to carbon fiber greased with Cal's drag grease, replace any bearing showing roughness (same size as the Tiagra bearings), and replace the Belleville washers with new.  Clean everything up, and relive.  The handle binding is likely due to bad bearings.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

josa1

Don't think these reels have that troublesome Teflon drag disk in them.  If they are the TTS series they do not.  If they are the Beastmaster series, they do.

Here is a link to the complete service procedures for a TTS 50W....

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=7895.0

If they are the TTS series, I'm confident I can help you if you should need it.

josa1

Sea Witch

Thanks for all the responses and help. The reels are TTS. In the past, Glenn at Reel Connection has serviced. Looks like the reels might get another trip west.