Unconventional techniques for shore-bound saltwater anglers

Started by Decker, July 19, 2017, 02:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Decker

I'm a father of four young kids on a budget who likes to surf fish, with no boat, no 4WD, and about a 1:15 hour drive to the closest New Jersey seacoast.  Jersey is sandy, with dunes, barrier islands,inlets, bridges and bays.   I'm constantly thinking of ways to sneak in some fishing, and do so more effectively.   Aside from conventional fishing techniques, here are some nonconventional ideas I have thought over:

• Using a "fat tire bike" rigged for fishing to access 4WD only beach areas
  • Balloon fishing or kite fishing from the beach.  Haven't tried it yet.  Requires a west wind, which seems to be more common in the late summer and fall.  
  • Using a "drop shot" rig to fish plastics or gulp in snaggy, deep, fast-moving inlet currents. , or on beaches for fluke
  • Using a chum bag in the surf to attract fish
  • Using a drone/camera to scope the beach a for rips, or any other sign of feeding fish
  • Recently I've seen these castable sonar units that let you see structure (and fish) in an inlet.  Looks cool but expensive, and a little too techy for recreational fishing ;D Drones are probably too techy too.

Anyone have experience with any of these methods?  Are any of them nuts? ::)  Regarding species -- absolutely anything: stripers, sandsharks, tog, fluke, blues, whiting, etc.

philaroman

"in snaggy, deep, fast-moving inlet currents"
I've been meaning to try those small, on-the-rod planer boards for a 2nd in-holder rod...  certainly a cheaper experiment than drones or on-the-rod electronics

Decker

Quote from: philaroman on July 19, 2017, 05:59:53 PM
I've been meaning to try those small, on-the-rod planer boards for a 2nd in-holder rod...  certainly a cheaper experiment than drones or on-the-rod electronics
Can you explain more?

thorhammer

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

that's perfect if you have tuna near shore like down under and some of pacific islands... ::) :)

philaroman

Quote from: Decker on July 19, 2017, 06:08:21 PM
Quote from: philaroman on July 19, 2017, 05:59:53 PM
Can you explain more?

same as planer boards spreading baits on a moving boat, strong-enough inlet/river current should take a planer board diagonally downstream & away from the bank...  there are small ones that get attached directly to your line, rather than requiring a mast w/ separate rigging; obviously, you need a reversible board, or port/starboard depending on which bank of the inlet/river you want to fish

http://www.worldfishingnetwork.com/community/post/fishing-line-planer-board-shore

http://www.rapala.com/luhr-jensen/trolling-accessories/hot-shot-side-planer/hot-shotandreg-side-planer/5640-000-0625.html?brandname=luhrjensen

https://www.bigjon.com/product/mini-otter-in-line-planer

FatTuna

Guys near me who fish the Cape Cod canal rig bikes for fishing. I'm in the process of rigging a couple of rod holders for mine. Never seen it done on a fat bike but I'm sure it's possible provided it's not too much work to ride on the sand.

I used to kite fish from my boat when fishing the rocks for bass. It allowed me to send a live bait close to the shore without having to risk hitting a rock. Also, it kept the mackerel from getting snagged in the rocks. I've never seen another person do it before but it works well. You could easily kite fish from the beach but you have to get lucky with an offshore wind.

Balloons will only work if you have a ripping current that will carry them out. For example Sebastian inlet. In general, balloons don't work well surf fishing.

I think a chum bag wouldn't work as well as in a boat. Main reason is that the surf is constantly being churned up.

In my experience, the best way to catch fish is to put in the time. You have to experiment with different spots, different baits, different lures, etc. Learn how to read the beach. Figure out what they are feeding on.

When fishing lures, it best to keep moving. You take a few casts and keep marching down the beach.

You can hedge you bet by fishing when the fish are migrating. Where I live, the fall is the best time of year for bass. Small bunker will flood the beaches and the bass will chase them close to shore. Summertime is the opposite, the bass hunker down and become lethargic.

Steve-O

Look up breakaway tackle online. EBay is one source. Lead lifters are great, too. Allows you to cast MUCH further and on impact the bait is released for a natural presentation. The fish lifts the lead out of snag zones. Good stuff for surf anglers. Watch youtube Brit's surf fishing..they have it down.

whalebreath

A lot of planers come in 'Shark friendly' colours so buy wisely.....

CapeFish

Quote from: Steve-O on July 20, 2017, 01:59:34 AM
Look up breakaway tackle online. EBay is one source. Lead lifters are great, too. Allows you to cast MUCH further and on impact the bait is released for a natural presentation. The fish lifts the lead out of snag zones. Good stuff for surf anglers. Watch youtube Brit's surf fishing..they have it down.

You can also just use a little sinker clip you bend from a bicycle spoke and clip your bait to that, works like a charm for cheap. Some breakaway sinkers come with the clip built in, I make mine with a hook clip built in

Jeri

Quote from: Decker on July 19, 2017, 02:49:51 PM
I'm a father of four young kids on a budget who likes to surf fish, with no boat, no 4WD, and about a 1:15 hour drive to the closest New Jersey seacoast.  Jersey is sandy, with dunes, barrier islands,inlets, bridges and bays.   I'm constantly thinking of ways to sneak in some fishing, and do so more effectively.   Aside from conventional fishing techniques, here are some nonconventional ideas I have thought over:

• Using a "fat tire bike" rigged for fishing to access 4WD only beach areas
  • Balloon fishing or kite fishing from the beach.  Haven't tried it yet.  Requires a west wind, which seems to be more common in the late summer and fall.  
  • Using a "drop shot" rig to fish plastics or gulp in snaggy, deep, fast-moving inlet currents. , or on beaches for fluke
  • Using a chum bag in the surf to attract fish
  • Using a drone/camera to scope the beach a for rips, or any other sign of feeding fish
  • Recently I've seen these castable sonar units that let you see structure (and fish) in an inlet.  Looks cool but expensive, and a little too techy for recreational fishing ;D Drones are probably too techy too.

Anyone have experience with any of these methods?  Are any of them nuts? ::)  Regarding species -- absolutely anything: stripers, sandsharks, tog, fluke, blues, whiting, etc.

Sounds like you are trying to 're-invent the wheel'. |Basically, as has been said, decide on a style - lures or bait, then check out what everyone else is doing with that style, then put in the hours at the right locations. With 4 young kids, a couple of cheapy rods to keep them interested as well, and you will have lifelong buddies to go fishing with.

Seen all the 'new tech' toys being used on our coast, drones, kites, air bait cannons, etc!!! Save your money, buy a decent set up for the style you choose, and enjoy - there are no real short cuts in fishing - just the pleasure of being near the water and enjoying life.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

Decker

Quote from: Jeri on July 20, 2017, 07:46:38 AM
Sounds like you are trying to 're-invent the wheel'. |Basically, as has been said, decide on a style - lures or bait, then check out what everyone else is doing with that style, then put in the hours at the right locations. With 4 young kids, a couple of cheapy rods to keep them interested as well, and you will have lifelong buddies to go fishing with.

Seen all the 'new tech' toys being used on our coast, drones, kites, air bait cannons, etc!!! Save your money, buy a decent set up for the style you choose, and enjoy - there are no real short cuts in fishing - just the pleasure of being near the water and enjoying life.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

Jeri, thanks... I like reinventing the wheel, and have rarely done what everyone else is doing.;D  What everyone else does is drive their 4WD on the beach, or use their boat or yak with sonar to find structure and fish.  A fat tire bike would allow me to access stretches of beach that are (practically) inaccessible on foot.   

And I agree... no short cuts, and the pleasure of being there.   I get skunked and come home with a smile on my face, but my wife thinks I'm nuts  ::)  I need to show some major productivity to win her over  ;)

Decker

Quote from: CapeFish on July 20, 2017, 07:28:09 AM
Quote from: Steve-O on July 20, 2017, 01:59:34 AM

You can also just use a little sinker clip you bend from a bicycle spoke and clip your bait to that, works like a charm for cheap. Some breakaway sinkers come with the clip built in, I make mine with a hook clip built in

The Breakaway stuff is interesting, but little pricey.  I do like the "sputnik" type sinkers because they have more holding power per weight, letting you use a lighter set up.   

I've seen videos of guys in the U.K. casting with the bait clips and pulley rigs.   Definitely would help casting distance; nothing cuts down distance like a bunker head and a sinker "helicoptering" on the cast.   The way most get around that is to keep the hook leader very short.   

I'd like to see this bicycle spoke bait clip... there's a broken spoke ready in my garage ;D

otownjoe

A technique I use for shark fishing is to swim the live bait out into deeper water. A tail hooked bait will naturally swim away from the pressure you put on it.you can use this to your advantage to steer the bait where you want to go. If you send a live bait out at a angle into the current by the time it dies from stress it will be straight out in front of you.this works great with blue runners and jacks.no kayak needed . Joe

steelfish

Quote from: Jeri on July 20, 2017, 07:46:38 AM
.........Save your money, buy a decent set up for the style you choose, and enjoy - there are no real short cuts in fishing - just the pleasure of being near the water and enjoying life.
Cheers from sunny Africa
Jeri

my local beaches are really not good for shore fishing or surf fishing, I really like that style of fishing but my best fishi I can hope to catch is a 2lb curvina and that might happen after 5 hrs of fishing, dont get me wrong I love surf fishing I actually have some nice surf fishing gear and can cast 90-110 yds in average, but even with 200yds casts the result will be the same, but once on a boat the chances to catch fish are really higher, I was looking to get me a Kayak to get my bait on 300yds mark at least but I dont have the car to carry a Kayak.
I also like to go fishing with my kids and wife so, I was on the same train that you are right now, looking for better ways to make the fishing day more productive after searching for many options I ended up changing my game plan for a fishing day.
since few years surf fishing is more like a picnic day to enjoy with the family on the beach with some nice food and cool drinks than focusing on catching fish, if there is a fish on a rod its just the cherry on the cake.
if I really wanted to catch fish then I need to drive 1:30hrs to where the mountains meet the sea and then the sandy beach change to a rocky shore and then you dont have to cast that far

this would be a normal setup for a surf fishing day
a rod holder for 2-rods, kids running on the beach and I call them if any of the rod tips move on a bait, sometimes I use a lighter rod to cast lures but between taking care of the rods, checking baits, etc, that casting rod is used 5 minutes only on the whole day

but really interested on your findings so I encourage you to keep searching, what you might find could be apply it here too.

The Baja Guy