Unconventional techniques for shore-bound saltwater anglers

Started by Decker, July 19, 2017, 02:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benni3

In freshwater a remote control boat is great to get your bait out and planers work great at the lake trolling why not at the river  ;D

Decker

Quote from: Benni3 on July 21, 2017, 03:12:51 AM
In freshwater a remote control boat is great to get your bait out and planers work great at the lake trolling why not at the river  ;D

Are you talking about trolling from the RC boat??? That I have to see...

oldmanjoe

I don`t think so , i believe you just place the bait on the boat and motor out than a quick yank to pull the bait off the boat.
Me personally would do the kite and get 3  bangs for the buck .      one you build the kite with the kids ,  2 you drop the fishing line were needed ,3 the kids get to fly the kite .
perfect day on the beach..    joe
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Decker

Quote from: oldmanjoe on July 21, 2017, 02:07:05 PM
I don`t think so , i believe you just place the bait on the boat and motor out than a quick yank to pull the bait off the boat.
Me personally would do the kite and get 3  bangs for the buck .      one you build the kite with the kids ,  2 you drop the fishing line were needed ,3 the kids get to fly the kite .
perfect day on the beach..    joe

SOLD!

Decker

Quote from: steelfish on July 20, 2017, 08:29:47 PM
my local beaches are really not good for shore fishing or surf fishing, I really like that style of fishing but my best fishi I can hope to catch is a 2lb curvina and that might happen after 5 hrs of fishing, dont get me wrong I love surf fishing I actually have some nice surf fishing gear and can cast 90-110 yds in average, but even with 200yds casts the result will be the same, but once on a boat the chances to catch fish are really higher, I was looking to get me a Kayak to get my bait on 300yds mark at least but I dont have the car to carry a Kayak.
I also like to go fishing with my kids and wife so, I was on the same train that you are right now, looking for better ways to make the fishing day more productive after searching for many options I ended up changing my game plan for a fishing day.
since few years surf fishing is more like a picnic day to enjoy with the family on the beach with some nice food and cool drinks than focusing on catching fish, if there is a fish on a rod its just the cherry on the cake.
if I really wanted to catch fish then I need to drive 1:30hrs to where the mountains meet the sea and then the sandy beach change to a rocky shore and then you dont have to cast that far

this would be a normal setup for a surf fishing day
a rod holder for 2-rods, kids running on the beach and I call them if any of the rod tips move on a bait, sometimes I use a lighter rod to cast lures but between taking care of the rods, checking baits, etc, that casting rod is used 5 minutes only on the whole day

but really interested on your findings so I encourage you to keep searching, what you might find could be apply it here too.

Sounds like we are in the same boat (or lack thereof), compadre.    Bendiciones a la familia, y buena suerte en la pesca!

FatTuna

How about trolling a line behind this thing? Kayak fishing on a whole new level.

RowdyW

I sure wouldn't want to be in there when Jaws comes visiting for lunch in the kelp beds. It also makes jigging and casting difficult.

FatTuna

Quote from: RowdyW on July 22, 2017, 03:29:53 AM
I sure wouldn't want to be in there when Jaws comes visiting for lunch in the kelp beds. It also makes jigging and casting difficult.

How about a pneumatic harpoon gun. You could shoot your fish and drag it back to shore with a winch.

Mount this on the bow.

Shark Hunter

ha,ha,ha
I am cousin of Arnold, girly man. :D
There is only one way to make sure you can get your bait out.
A kayak.
I'm thinking you could go with an inflatable and still fit on the bike.
Inflatables are making lots of progress.
My wife has an inflatable paddle board and it works quite well.
Life is Good!

Bill B

I had an inflatable AirHead two person 12'.  It was ok for paddling around the river but not nearly as easy to paddle long distance as a rigid kayak.  Also heavy, not as light as you would think although the rigid is 50% heavier.....somewhere around 50 lbs for the inflatable.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

wailua boy

I occasionally swim laps and will run a short hand line off ankle, when you feel a nimble; reach back and set hook. On some of the beaches with strong offshore winds, balloon fishing can produce results.

oc1

Decker

Quote from: wailua boy on July 23, 2017, 09:58:27 PM
I occasionally swim laps and will run a short hand line off ankle, when you feel a nimble; reach back and set hook. On some of the beaches with strong offshore winds, balloon fishing can produce results.

ILMAO :D ;D   Sounds like a new twist on a "teaser rig"  or is more like human-powered trolling?   :o :o :o 

Eddie K

I know this is an old thread, but, I used to use a chum pot when bridge fishing, it worked as it should.  I see know reason why it wouldn't work in the surf.  The fish will follow the slick and feed in it, just where your bait should be.

Rivverrat

A fat bike in the right area with a matching trailer would allow for easy packing.  I can pack enough on my bike & trailer to stay out a week easy.  A kayak or canoe can be set up to use as the trailer. Just strap it to a two wheel arrangement of some sort.... But lets back up a sec.

Using a bike to fish from takes some level of being devoted to the bike. I see people all the time spend ridiculous sums of money on bikes while having some good ideas & intentions... Then they meet the first incline... they begin to breath harder than they have in years, the strength in the legs melts away.  

You have to be devoted to it or it may not work well. Meaning its best if you make regular use of the bike to stay in shape.  The benefit a person receives doing this is measurable.  You will noticeably feel better at the end of any given day & other tasks will not take the wind out of you. You may live a longer more productive life.  Just remember the physical benefits do come quickly.

You will be sore & stiff from your first outings that you apply your self. This wont last past a couple of weeks. The first month is key... Few stick with it... But Its Worth It !

A tire bigger than 4" is needed. For most sand a 5"  tire rules. Tires for Fat Bikes range from $50 - over $200.  It's good to Slime the tires.  
Also going tubeless gets rid of a tremendous amount of rotational weight. A person can shed up to 2 lbs. per wheel by going tubeless. This is one of the best upgrades for a Fat Bike.  However if your not traveling far or just doing a few miles on flat road or path to stay in shape I might not worry about it.

If your serious feel free to ask any questions. I recommend that you start on any bike available to see if its something you'd like to make work.  The Fat Bike does have some unique handling characteristics. It does feel different when turning but not bad. There is not a 4 wheel drive or any motorized passenger vehicle not riding on tracks that will go where my fat bike will out side of a deep mud pit or deep snow. With steel studded fat tires I rule most anything our Kansas winters may bring

To sum it up if I had only one bike it would not be a Fat bike. However I would not ever be with out one because of their ability to easily do what no other bike will... Jeff