Avet SX 5.3 problem

Started by 2ntow, July 23, 2017, 01:44:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2ntow

Floating live baits for cobia yesterday morning.  Pretty sure a shark grabs the live eel and starts taking drag.  The first few minutes of cranking, loosing line, then re-gaining line went as normal.  All of a sudden, the gears feels like it is binding some, then the next time the fish runs, it sounds like gears are stripping and the handle spins backwards.  It stops and I can reel in once more.  Another run, and it does the same thing again.  Finally get to the leader when the leader breaks, pretty much confirming it was a shark due to the roughness around the break.  At that point, that rod and reel get put away.

Get home and do a quick check.  I typically set the strike drag (detent half way on the lever drag) at 5 lbs.  Hang a 5 lb weight, set it at the half way point, and am able lift it just fine.  Back off the drag a little, run the same test again, and get the coffee grinder sound along with the handle spinning backwards again.  I open up the side of the reel to inspect the gears, and everything looks fine.  No metal shavings, all gear teeth are intact, no water inside reel...basically looks like the day I bought it (2008). 

Put everything back together and attempt to re-do my drag settings and run into the intermittent problem again.

I do my own maintenance on my reels, and this one has been used since the last maintenance and caught many a fish since then.  I am baffled as to what is going on as the only other thing I can think of is either the end of the spool shaft or the hole in the drive gear may be slightly rounded off.

All suggestions appreciated as to what to look for.

josa1

Pinion bearing?  When they go bad, the defective bearing really does make a lot of noise and the handle is very rough to turn.

Why the spinning backwards, what did you find out about that?

josa1

akfish

Very clearly there is an anti-reverse problem. That should be easy to check. The dog sometimes sticks if there is excess grease or enough salt intrusion. The dog arm could be bent too but, again, that is easy to check once you open the reel. As for the grinding noise: If the gears are good, then it is almost certainly the pinion bearing -- the bearing in the right side plate. When that bearing goes bad all sorts of things can happen including making the grinding noise you are referring to.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

2ntow

Thanks.  Will open it back up tonight, do some more research and report what I find.

2ntow

I was able to get back on the reel tonight and this thing has me baffled.  First, figured out the coffee grinder sound I heard is not coming from either the drive or pinion gears.  Something is up with the anti-reverse.  I looked at the dog, just enough grease to see an even layer and no salt buildup anywhere.  Put everything back together to see how the anti-reverse gear and dog meshed, and it looked like full tooth contact between the two. 

Re-assembled the reel, attempted to set the drag with a 5 lb weight, and darn if the grinding sound along with the handle reversing 1/2 a turn before it properly engaged and held.  Repeated the procedure of lifting the rod tip and weight...2 out of 3 times works fine, then I get the grinding/ratcheting noise of the dog skipping off the gear teeth before engaging.  Dis-assembled, looked at it, then re-assembled and still get the same results.

I suspect the dog is not fully meshing with the anti-reverse gear, allowing it to slip a few teeth before managing to engage.  The dog is held in place with no side to side movement, so the anti-reverse gear seems to be slightly out of place.

Does this sound reasonable?  What would be the proper course of action to correct the issue?

akfish

Your dog maybe installed upside down.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

josa1

Here is a break down of the JX, mostly the same as the SX.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9313.0

Give this a look and see if anything pops out that might be out of whack.

Hang in there, you'll figure this out very soon.

josa1

2ntow

Went back and compared my parts to the schematic and it appears I am missing one of the spool spring washers (part 15).

Here are the pictures of the side plate, anti-reverse gear, and an attempt showing the dog engaged in the gear.  It looks like all the parts match up with the link Josa1 posted.  Problem still persists...do you see anything I may have missed?

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

a question, did you push the lever to strike when the fish started to run? i meant pass the strike or to full?

here's a tutorial on an older sx done by AT http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=238.0

looking at one the photos, is the friction ring, pt # 26, installed properly?

JoeyFortina

akfish

Yes! The anti-reverse dog is upside down. And be sure to remove the pinion bearing and make sure it is liquid smooth. Hold it with your thumb and finger and spin it. Any grit at all and it needs to be replaced.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

2ntow

I feel like a DUMMY!  I looked at that darn dog multiple times and I guess my mind was seeing what I wanted it to see instead of what it really was.  :-[

So I switched around the CORRECT way, checked the pinion bearing (still spins smooth), put everything back together and tested the drag.  Did multiple tests and no backwards spinning handle or funky noises inside the reel.

Thanks for pointing out my mistake!  Now I need to check the other two reels just in case......

josa1

mahfudzmn

Glad you solved it, it's definitely the dog problem. I have a reel in my shop with the same symptom. I haven't started on that reel but I know it must have the dog inverted as well.