Solid Braid to Mono connection

Started by Shark Hunter, July 23, 2017, 10:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I have a member that wants me to spool his 16/0 with 200 lb solid braid and 100 lb mono on top. 1000 yards of each.
What would be the best knot for this?
Life is Good!

wailua boy

I think the "improved" Albright knot will work, although there maybe be a better knot.

cwillis85

I have become a huge fan of the fg knot to tie on my leaders, never tried it with more than 80lb braid to 50lb mono though
Chris

Three se7ens

I like the Albright knot, especially when there is a large difference in line me diameter. With 20 lb Fluorocarbon leader and 20 or 30 lb braid, I've never had one fail at the braid.

I think you may be better off with 130 lb hollow and a loop to loop or serve connection though. 130 lb hollow is the cheapest hollow and typically breaks above 160 - 180 lbs

Swami805

I use an albright too for lighter line and a bimini to an albright for heavy line. I have some 200lb hollow for making wind-ons, I'll send you some if you want to make a few. Serving it is pretty slick but you'd still need a bimini for the loop in the solid.
There's some good knots on-line too, the collins knot seems popular and looks pretty easy to tie.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

boon

Anything with a double in the mono is a dinosaur knot.

PR knot would be my pick here.

akfish

I use the RP knot which is just an Improved Albright. I use knot typing tubes to synch it up well and add a drop of Tac Glue. That knot tied once caught two tuna over 175# back to back last spring. I was about dead. But the knot held.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Shark Hunter

This is not my personal choice, but he is hell bent on solid braid for backing.
The 16/0 is a straight mono reel in my arsenal.
It has the capacity to do just this.
Straight 130lb would yield way over 1500 yards.
They fish in Panama City off the pier.
I have no idea how this works.
A large shark on my line is brought to shore.
There is a line winder in return for my efforts of making this reel as he wants with a stack upgrade.
This will come in handy with all my big reels.
Do I need to back the spool with anything before I start laying on the braid?
Life is Good!

Bill B

daron, the Boss recommends flex wrap (?) or similar cloth tape that sticks to it's self to prevent the braid from slipping and a little grease under the tape.... Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

oc1

I think 100# mono is a waste of a 16/0.  When was the last time someone need a mile of line to land a shark?  With 200# braid backing I'd consider 200# mono on top. To each, their own.  No one is likely to ever see that knot so it may not matter how it looks as long as it is bullet proof and will pass the guides. Hopefully, they're not Aftco.  Bimini to improved Albright sounds pretty good.  I'd consider duct tape on the spool.
-steve

Tiddlerbasher

Splice the mono into a section of hollow braid then splice the solid braid into the hollow. I usually use a superglue 'serve'.
Alternately - Splice the mono into a length of hollow braid - splice a loop into the other end. Tie a perfection loop in the solid braid. Loop to loop connection that goes through the guides easily.

STRIPER LOU

x2 on the super glue. Since I've been using it in addition, I have not had any failures.

............Lou

r8rs4lf

I use the Albright when I know the knot is far enough down the line where it won't go through the guides. This knot always seems to get caught on guides when being casted.

If it will be cast through the guides, I use the FG knot. I haven't had one fail and I think it's the thinnest/strongest knot to tie mono to braid without getting hung up on the guides.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

if you have the "needles" i would use a L2L on this one. 1st splice appropriate hollow to your straight braid. here's a video it's in tagalog but watching it it should be enough. also i have slightly modified it;

then insert your mono to appropriate size hollow e.g. if i can force the 100 mono to a 60 hollow then i will use a 60 but that's just me.

btw i refer to http://www.paulusjustfishing.com/index.htm for the BREAKING STRAIN against the DIAMETER D(A) for the best line...

tight lines!

ps X3 on the glue but i'd use Tac Glue and here's one i recently did;

thorhammer

Lemme know what you pick here. I was gonna go straight 130 mono on mine  but I may back with dacron anyway.