Visiting the US Virgin Islands

Started by Alto Mare, July 24, 2017, 02:44:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

My family decided on a trip to the US Virgin Islands this year, for some relaxation in the Caribbean. Rented a villa in a secluded area, overlooking the north end of St. Thomas, with fantastic views of the Caribbean. As it was accessible only by off-road vehicles, area was really unspoiled and wildlife was plentiful (my wife did not particularly enjoy sharing the area with the Iguana's  ;D). Here are some shots from the balcony.

St. Thomas and St. John have some really spectacular beaches. Helful hint, it's not a good idea to sneak food in your pocket when the posted signs say "Do not feed the fish"...although I had a blast with the activity, the other bathers weren't too thrilled.  ;D

Well, since it's islands...I had no objections and I wasted little time stowing away some reels in the luggage!

I made some arrangements for a private charter to take my son and I out to the North Drop, which quickly drops to 3,300 ft., for a 10-hour deep sea trip. Perfect spot for targeting big game, especially Blue Marlin. Of course, I informed the captain that I would be bringing along my own reels, including the "triple", my personal "tank", and a spinner. The boat was a 37 ft. center console. Here we are with Captain Alvin.

Unfortunately, if we had a bigger boat, we might have had a better chance, with the conditions as they were. Captain was not comfortable with going out 25 miles with the rough conditions we encountered. He suggested some in-shore fishing instead, with a partial refund, so that we could at least wet our lines. Here is the tank ready for action.

It didn't take long for us to get on some fish. Here is my son, Anthony, with a nice barracuda.

We cruised the area for 6 hours and, all in all, although I was a bit disappointed about not making it to the Drop, had a great day with my son, in the Caribbean! He is still talking about it, so that is more than worth it, to me! Here is a picture of our total catch for the day. Overall a great day for making memories with my son!

Best,
Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cortez_Conversions

Glad you had a good time Sal. Thanks for sharing!
Tom
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

nice sal! i didn't know it still "is"... ;D :D ;) ::) :o :)

ChileRelleno

Definitely a piece of paradise, sounds like a great vacation.
Too bad about sea/weather conditions, but those lil'pnut Mahi are delicious.
Memories, enuff said.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

thorhammer

Sal, glad you made it out on the water! Safe travels my friend!

coastal_dan

Too cool!  Those memories will last a lifetime.  Thanks for posting!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Steve-O

NICE!!!!

The smiles, sunsets, reels, and fish pics say it all. AND the Ohana tee shirt!

Thanks for sharing with us , Sal!

Shark Hunter

Awesome Sal!
Thanks for taking us along. ;)
Life is Good!

Benni3

Wow!!!!!love it,,,,great pictures on a great trip are you trying too make your own calendar of reels ,,,nice gear  :o

El Pescador

Sal!

NO ONE... should look THAT GOOD fishing :o :o

Do you travel with your own stylist ;D ;D

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

conchydong

Nothing wrong with some fresh Dolphin and 'Cudas. The important thing is quality family time and I am sure you has that. Way to go!
Don't worry about the Iguanas, we are over run with them now in S. Fla.
I use my pellet gun to practice my hunting skills in my back yard as they are a exotic species( P.I.A.) and eat a lot of  desirable vegetation if they are not controlled.

Scott

Dominick

Hey Sal, what a surprise.  Thanks for taking us along.  You were wise to listen to your captain.  They know what is safe.  I'm glad you got to spend that time with Anthony.  He looked pretty happy with that cuda.  That is a beautiful Island.  Now next trip Mexico with me.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

mhc

Nice haul of dolphins for the day, and looks like you had a great holiday - thanks for sharing.
Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

STRIPER LOU

Very nice family trip Sal! Hope you had time to do a bit of snorkeling.  Glad you and your son enjoyed some fishing too.

..................Lou

Tiddlerbasher

Way to go Sal - time with the family and fishing. Who cooked the Mahi?