Hi from Indiana

Started by Azar, July 24, 2017, 06:11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Azar

How y'all doin?

New here from Indiana and just got a pair of Penn 210s that I'm looking forward to refurbish, picked them up for a decent price but don't think anyone will be too jealous of my score. I'm also using the Penn 209 schematic, as I believe they're the same reels but the 210 has bearings. Please, feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken.

I laid out my towel and was excited to tear them apart when I noticed that the handle requires some special tool (I believe the 168-60 wrench). Due to corrosion, I'll also be replacing the drag washers, anything else I should be replacing or do I need to crack them open and inspect?? Where does everyone buy their parts, I was looking at MikesReelRepair, but am definitely open to supporting a sponsor of the board if I can help that way.

I also have attached a few pictures of the reels below...

I think a bit of a vinegar soak combined with elbow grease and some new parts and these reels will be ready to outlast me and have my kids fishing with them!

thorhammer

Welcome! The 210 is one of my favorite reels.  Go to MysticParts.com (It's Mystic Reel Parts (Scott's), they are an active member on the site also) and pull the 210 schematic. Yes, it has bearings but also faster retrieve gears (so, you will be ordering a bigger drag washer set). Scott's is about the fastest delivery you'll see and customer service is the best.

You are correct, I'd tear those down to the last screw and rest in straight white vinegar for a few days to see how bad the corrosion really is, and the do one parts order for drags and whatever else you may need. Definitely get the carbonbtex upgrade drags or at least HT100's; they will last a lifetime, and lube with marine PFTE grease or Cal's drag grease (also at Scott's).

Once you dissemble, set the freed spool in each sideplate with bearing individually in an upright position and spin it to see what bearings feel like (think spinning a child's top).

I'd pop the bearings out in any case and soak in a solvent, like lighter fluid or acetone, be safe here, then let dry and lube with your favorite reel oil (I favor Corrosion X for availability, but Scott's has TS 321 favored by most of this site. Penn reel oil or Abu Garcia oil will do if readily available to you on foot; you're not casting these for distance anyway. Just not WD40 or Quantum Hot Sauce )Pop the bearing shields off if you get really motivated. You can follow the 209 tutorial on this site; assembly is about the same and if you get stuck a hundred people will come to your rescue...the reel geek squad, as it were. You found the right place. There are a lot of crossover parts for this reel like larger handles, drag stars, clam upgrades, etc. and I'm 99% a SS gear sleeve exists. Good luck and keep us posted with "after" pics; we love to see old crusty's come back to fight another day.

John

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

thorhammer

PM me your address and I'll send you a handle wrench.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Azar

Quote from: thorhammer on July 24, 2017, 07:09:56 PM
Welcome! The 210 is one of my favorite reels.  Go to MysticParts.com (It's Mystic Reel Parts (Scott's), they are an active member on the site also) and pull the 210 schematic. Yes, it has bearings but also faster retrieve gears (so, you will be ordering a bigger drag washer set). Scott's is about the fastest delivery you'll see and customer service is the best.

You are correct, I'd tear those down to the last screw and rest in straight white vinegar for a few days to see how bad the corrosion really is, and the do one parts order for drags and whatever else you may need. Definitely get the carbonbtex upgrade drags or at least HT100's; they will last a lifetime, and lube with marine PFTE grease or Cal's drag grease (also at Scott's).

Once you dissemble, set the freed spool in each sideplate with bearing individually in an upright position and spin it to see what bearings feel like (think spinning a child's top).

I'd pop the bearings out in any case and soak in a solvent, like lighter fluid or acetone, be safe here, then let dry and lube with your favorite reel oil (I favor Corrosion X for availability, but Scott's has TS 321 favored by most of this site. Penn reel oil or Abu Garcia oil will do if readily available to you on foot; you're not casting these for distance anyway. Just not WD40 or Quantum Hot Sauce )Pop the bearing shields off if you get really motivated. You can follow the 209 tutorial on this site; assembly is about the same and if you get stuck a hundred people will come to your rescue...the reel geek squad, as it were. You found the right place. There are a lot of crossover parts for this reel like larger handles, drag stars, clam upgrades, etc. and I'm 99% a SS gear sleeve exists. Good luck and keep us posted with "after" pics; we love to see old crusty's come back to fight another day.

John

Quote from: thorhammer on July 24, 2017, 08:03:24 PM
PM me your address and I'll send you a handle wrench.

Thank you for the quick instructions, I really appreciate it! In my research it looks like the 210 uses the same drag washers as the Jigmaster 500, so I reckon I'll order me a set of carbon drags for it.

My man, that would be awesome! I'll cut you a PM really quick here in a second, I can paypal you a dollar or 2 to cover postage, too!

Sal and Shark Hunter, thank you for the warm welcome. I'm really excited to dig into reel re-building and maintenance!

Tiddlerbasher

Hi and welcome Azar from the UK :)

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mo65

Welcome aboard! On the outside the 210 is a lot like the 209...but under the hood the 210 is more like a Jigmaster. It's a very capable reel. You can use my 210 build as a guide to help also. 8)

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=18615.0
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Azar

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on July 25, 2017, 10:05:05 AM
Hi and welcome Azar from the UK :)

Thank you! Where at in the UK? My sister just got back after spending about a year and a half doing Missions work in Northern Ireland.

Quote from: alantani on July 25, 2017, 09:33:16 PM
Welcome!

The man, the myth, the legend! Thank you!

Quote from: mo65 on July 25, 2017, 10:22:53 PM
   Welcome aboard! On the outside the 210 is a lot like the 209...but under the hood the 210 is more like a Jigmaster. It's a very capable reel. You can use my 210 build as a guide to help also. 8)

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=18615.0

After I dug into it a bit more, that's what I noticed too. When I was messaging Thorhammer about the reel wrench, I mentioned that I had noticed that the SMOOOOOOTH drag kit I needed was for a 500, so the internals must be similar. Thanks for the link to the rebuild, I'll definitely check it out.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bill B

Azar welcome.....a better bunch of people you will not find anywhere.....Bill from SoCal
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Tiddlerbasher

Hi Azar - I live just outside London no where near Northern Ireland ;D

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain