Penn Fathom Lever Drag issue

Started by wombat, July 25, 2017, 10:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wombat

My Penn Fathom FTH25NLD has worked perfectly for the last year or so and has caught plenty of good fish. On my last trip I was suprised to see that the reel started binding up when the lever drag was pushed forward under normal drag settings. Can anyone point me in the right direction to fix the issue? I'm thinking side thrust on a bearing perhaps.
When the drag adjustment knob is loosened and the lever pushed forward the reel seems OK. Tightening the drag knob sees the handle gets hard to turn. I think the reel has slightly more resistance even when the drag is backed off. There are no noises coming from it when turning the handle.
This has been a great little reel, punching well above its weight so I hope its an easy fix

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

look at your thrust n pinion bearings. also check the left spool bearing...

hope this helps!

johndtuttle

Quote from: wombat on July 25, 2017, 10:42:35 PM
My Penn Fathom FTH25NLD has worked perfectly for the last year or so and has caught plenty of good fish. On my last trip I was suprised to see that the reel started binding up when the lever drag was pushed forward under normal drag settings. Can anyone point me in the right direction to fix the issue? I'm thinking side thrust on a bearing perhaps.
When the drag adjustment knob is loosened and the lever pushed forward the reel seems OK. Tightening the drag knob sees the handle gets hard to turn. I think the reel has slightly more resistance even when the drag is backed off. There are no noises coming from it when turning the handle.
This has been a great little reel, punching well above its weight so I hope its an easy fix

Yep, look at the left side stuff first, may be as simple as a re-lube.

IF you got salt inside, some parts may need to be replaced.

Solid reel, the answer should not be complicated once you open it up.

sbsyncro

Exact same problem here with a 40NLD2.  I disassembled it, cleaned, and regressed it and didn't find anything amiss - the bearings all looked good, and I cleaned and regreased the thrust bearing, which exhibited no corrosion or pitting. (the reel was used for one trip last year and then put away for the winter).    After reassembly, the spool sure spins nice in free spool but with 15# of drag at Strike, I can barely crank the handle... :(

johndtuttle

Quote from: sbsyncro on August 04, 2017, 09:59:02 PM
Exact same problem here with a 40NLD2.  I disassembled it, cleaned, and regressed it and didn't find anything amiss - the bearings all looked good, and I cleaned and regreased the thrust bearing, which exhibited no corrosion or pitting. (the reel was used for one trip last year and then put away for the winter).    After reassembly, the spool sure spins nice in free spool but with 15# of drag at Strike, I can barely crank the handle... :(

I would recommend posting a thread in the Penn University forum. They likely know precisely what the issue is...something simple or they will be happy to take a look at the reel asap.

best

sbsyncro

Quote from: johndtuttle on August 04, 2017, 10:32:42 PM
I would recommend posting a thread in the Penn University forum. They likely know precisely what the issue is...something simple or they will be happy to take a look at the reel asap.

Where would one find the "Penn University Forum"?  ??? I'm assuming you're not talking about this one
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-pennsylvania/
;D

RowdyW

Go up one line on this forum.         Rudy

johndtuttle

Quote from: sbsyncro on August 09, 2017, 07:55:13 PM
Quote from: johndtuttle on August 04, 2017, 10:32:42 PM

Where would one find the "Penn University Forum"?  ??? I'm assuming you're not talking about this one
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-pennsylvania/
;D

Ya, its the official Penn reels forum for any and all questions Penn reels :).

I'm sure they can help solve this dilemma....;D