Will 112H do for kingfish?

Started by Padre, July 26, 2017, 06:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Padre

Title says it. I'm going to NC in October to chase kings and bull reds from a kayak. Will be trolling live baits for the kings - these are king mackerel, by the way, not yellowtail.

I have a 112h with ss gears and one of Alan's handles. Will that work for these kings? I know it will handle the reds easily; they're not the speed demons these smoker kings are. If it won't, what should i look at?

Thanks!

kevin

Tiddlerbasher

As long as you have cf drags I think you'll be ok. If Bryan has a 5 stack kit for your baby I'd go for that as well :)

Padre

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on July 26, 2017, 06:35:25 PM
As long as you have cf drags I think you'll be ok. If Bryan has a 5 stack kit for your baby I'd go for that as well :)

I think he does. Wondered about that, too. I believe it's the stock drags. I don't think i changed them. If i went to the 5 stack, would i need to change anything else? SS dog?

Bill B

With CF drags and after market handle you will be fine......maybe add a SS gear sleeve so you do not round out the brass sleeve.....I do not think any other modifications would be necessary....but then again if you wanted a Hot Rod, lots of other options are available.   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Padre

Quote from: TARFU on July 26, 2017, 07:03:59 PM
With CF drags and after market handle you will be fine......maybe add a SS gear sleeve so you do not round out the brass sleeve.....I do not think any other modifications would be necessary....but then again if you wanted a Hot Rod, lots of other options are available.   Bill

I hate to admit that i have to ask this, but... how do you tell if the drags are carbon fiber? They have that waffle appearance that i associate with CF...

And yes, i know the Hot Rod posts. I'm deliberately staying away from there because i could easily loose all sense of, well, sense and reason and go wild.

oc1

A 4/0 would be appropriate from a pier, but I think it is an overkill fishing from a kayak.  I would drop down to something the size of a 2/0.  If it is a Penn, bone stock is fine as long as the drag washers are still decent.  Kayaks have the sleigh ride feature and there is less chance of abrasion or obstructions.  So, you can use lighter line and need less of it.  A smaller reel will be much more comfortable to use too.
-steve

Padre

Quote from: oc1 on July 26, 2017, 07:46:58 PM
A 4/0 would be appropriate from a pier, but I think it is an overkill fishing from a kayak.  I would drop down to something the size of a 2/0.  Kayaks have the sleigh ride feature and there is less chance of abrasion or obstructions.  So, you can use lighter line and need less of it.  A smaller reel will be more comfortable to use too.
-steve

112 is a 3/0. My primary concern is the drag (there's a reason they call them "smoker kings") and the retrieve speed. When those kings turn and run at you, you've got to be able to keep up.

oc1

Sorry, I never can remember those numbers.  40-50 lb braid is plenty.  I agree that something faster than a Senator would be nice.
-steve

RowdyW

112H is 4 to 1. How much faster does it have to be. The same gears as a Jigmaster 500 which will work too.                  Rudy

vilters

you should be good w/ 3/0. it's basically a 99 width jigmaster with a taller spool, which would actually increase the amount of line per crank on retrieve a bit. cf drags should be all you need, which it should have unless it's a really old model. sounds like a fun trip, good luck, and post a report

scrinch

Quote from: Padre on July 26, 2017, 07:17:06 PM
I hate to admit that i have to ask this, but... how do you tell if the drags are carbon fiber? They have that waffle appearance that I associate with CF...

The waffle drag washers are CF...most likely Penn HT-100 washers. The pre-CF washers were smooth, like thick paper, and a dark gray color.

Rancanfish

I think that I'd do the testing on the water like Alan has always suggested. 

If you indeed have the CF drags you'll be fine.  Then if the reel goes overboard it's a bummer but not a wallet breaker.

I've said it before, I have never had a reel failure on the water.  I fished almost entirely Jigmasters, Squidders and 320gti's.  Of course I was lucky enough to have met 'Doc Tani' early on. (Pre website days even).

I have a small fortune in upgrades sitting in my garage that no way I'd take on a kayak!

You have the right approach.  Good luck on your trip.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Army_of_One

The last king I caught from a kayak was with a shimano comparable in size to the 3/0.  You'll do fine with a simple drag upgrade.  :)  I would be leery of trying to catch the bulls with it though.
Another day in Paradise!

nelz

Hey guys, let's not forget, the older Penns have been hauling in many trophy fish for decades!

Yes, a big King would give it a workout, but even an all stock 112H can handle it, especially from a kayak. The only issue might be keeping up if the fish decides to turn around.

conchydong

We fish Kings with 3 or 4 lbs of drag as we use stinger rigs with light treble hooks. It is easy to finesse them after a couple runs. It is not the drag  strength but the smoothness.