Don't think my daughter was ready for a fish as big as her!

Started by cwillis85, July 26, 2017, 06:41:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cwillis85

My daughter has a skin infection so she isn't cleared for school till next Monday. Also means I get to take the week off. Skin is under control and healing well so we got her covered up from the sun and went out for a quick trip to the sunshine pier. Set her up with a sabiki on her 4' pole and 920 and then started to try to catch some bait myself. A few minutes later she says, "daddy, I have a fish." I start to put my pole down, not thinking anything of it, look over and see she is hooked into a large tarpon. The fish is jumping like I have only seen on tv and she has her rod laying on the rail gripping the pole tight while the tarpon burns off line. I run over to grab for the rod, figuring how long is a 4 year old going to be able to hold the pole with this big of a fish on the end. She gets another epic jump and I grab the pole with one hand and pull up my camera with the other. One final jump and the fish breaks off her entire sabiki just before the camera comes up.

I saw several more tarpon swim by, all around 4 foot long, guessing hers was right there.

She had told her fishing story to everyone that will listen and tells it with such excitement every time.

Best fishing day ever and I could barely catch any bait, so proud of this girl.

Here she is holding what's left of her sabiki.
Chris

josa1

Great story!  Something she'll remember always!

josa1

Aiala

Beautiful little lady angler! You're a lucky daddy!  ;)
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Shark Hunter

That is Awesome!
Maybe the 920 needs an upgrade.
Congrats to both of you. ;)
Life is Good!

Dominick

Wow what a treat for that young girl.  Thanks for the story and photo.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

humboldtdan

SO you knocked it off for fear of being outfished;)  Just kidding of course.

steelfish

congrats on taking your kids fishing, best memories they will have

The Baja Guy

Gfish

Real cute young lady. A 4' tarpon! Nothing like that happened to me in my fishing career 'till I's 'bout 12 yrs. old, a 4 lb. land-locked salmon, while we were catching little planter trout. Those are the triggers though, that get us hooked.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Alto Mare

Cute young lady, a nice treat for both of you...awesome.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Caranx

ChileRelleno

Luck of Yhe Gingers  ;D

That's a great story and that pic with her 'infectious grin' is much better than 'infectious skin'.
Making some awesome memories.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

happyhooker

An experience like that is how a kid will get hooked on fishing for a long time.

Tiddlerbasher