Edited Title: Bad Anti-Reverse Bearing...

Started by Steve-O, July 27, 2017, 03:17:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve-O

The reel is an Ajiking Wahoo 1966 conventional .

A WHAAAAAT?!?

Exactly....nuff said.

Great little reel, cheap chinese Avet clone.

Fished it one week last year in Alaska slow pitch jigging and land sharking.

I like everything about it except one thing. No dogs. Therefore I get some handle slack in places while winding.

That or the anti reverse is defective/junk.

Maybe both.

I haven't decided to sell it or not or check the anti-reverse bearing and ask HERE how hard is it to install a single dog where none is?

No pics, yet, but I can open it up if you all think this effort is worth undertaking.

My neighbor has a drill press if needed.

I can probably get some correctly sized parts to go in it and have the skill set to do the job.

As is, not a (lookout pun coming ) reel pleasant angling experience when slow jigging and under fish pressure.

And as I write this I keep thinking bad antireverse bearing.

The slop is between 2-4 o'clock and generally loosey goosey feeling versus my Omotos with dogs.

Ideas, thoughts, suggestions, please.

RowdyW

Maybe try Boca Bearing for a comparable AR bearing of better quality. It's worth a try if it's not too expensive.

Marcq

Nothing is impossible but since there's no ratchet, not sure how you could pull this off

Marc..

Steve-O

Quote from: Marcq on July 27, 2017, 03:27:38 AM
Nothing is impossible but since there's no ratchet, not sure how you could pull this off

Marc..

You're absolutely right, sir!

I mis- remembered it having a ratchet without the dogs. No ratchet at all. Took about 90 seconds to confirm that. I took this and the Omoto Talos apart the same night last year to prep them for the AK trip.

Guess there's my answers.

Check for a quality anti- reverse bearing out there.

Now to find the mic. Hmmm...must be in my watch tool kit.

Here's the guts.

Steve-O

And I went through 16 pages of Boca one way bearings. Nothing remotely like this one.

It's a steel roller bearing inside a keyed crap metal housing which drops into the reel handle shaft housing with two outer bearings on the shaft.

It is "soft and bouncy" feeling when reeled and once every revolution will exhibit reverse slop of 5 to 8 minutes on a clock face. That's way too much.

Is it worth pursuing? Just fish it? Fire sale? Not even a good kite flying reel methinks.

....yes, I also know you get what you pay for and don't as well

PS - i would put a short video clip of the offending bearing in action but nobody needs their current beverage blown out their nose onto the screen when it's viewed....so you're all welcome for that saving grace.

Steve-O

I contacted the seller on ebay and he is contacting his supplier or the manufacturer for a replacement bearing.

Fingers crossed!

Steve-O

Well, I went through 5-6 rounds of PM's with the ebay seller of this reel and after the pattern was established of..."noted, the supplier is out of stock, I will contact again"...that got old.

So I offered three options as his solutions and a fourth option of opening a case through ebay and letting them solve this for me.

Part is in the mail as I type. Might be another week or two for it to arrive via super slow mail service.

Will report back what happens with the replacement AR bearing.

Cor

My experience with the Chinese manufacturers has been that their after sales service is superior to their product.

You complain about something, 3 weeks later the replacement part is in your mailbox, free of charge and no haggling.

Hope that works for you as well.

Cornelis

handi2

Can you measure the clutch bearing. Its most likely a common size.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Steve-O

Quote from: handi2 on August 24, 2017, 03:19:20 PM
Can you measure the clutch bearing. Its most likely a common size.

I can and will this evening.

The challenge, I'm thinking is in the bearing housing.

The reel where the bearing sits is keyed on 4 sides to match the keys on the outer housing of the bearing to prevent the bearing from spinning under load.

Or...am I thinking this wrong and the actual roller bearing guts inside the outer housing can be removed and replaced?

Nothing on the Boca site was close.

The seller sent me a pic of the AR bearing he pulled from one of his inventory - which I suggested he do and mail it to me as an option.

The pic shows a different bearing that what's in mine. ( see above pic )

Steve-O

The pic the seller sent shows what appears to be a steel hexagonal housing vs my 4 eared pot metal or aluminum housing.

I tried to enlarge and enhance the small jpegs.

A also degreased mine again last weekend and blew it out and put the lightest coat of lite oil on a Q-tip and barely rolled the needle bearings with it.

Some improvement but the video I will link shows major back pedaling of the handle during a small shark being reeled on the line.

Steve-O

Here's the video of the first fish caught on this reel. A 22 # Spiny Dogfish Shark.

This text is what I sent to the seller:

If you go to the popular video site - YouTube - and put in a search for "POW Sharks 2", you will see me using this reel for the first time, and the very first fish I caught with this reel was a 22 pound shark in Alaska.

Watch the video and during some action I noted the times the reel malfunctioned.

At :36 seconds is the first time....then again at 43, 46, 48, 50 seconds.

at 1:37 and 1:40 it does a big back wind and I look down at the reel wondering what is happening?

Again at 1:43, 1:46, etc.

At 2:05 I let go of the handle and you see it turn backwards by itself. Then I know for sure something is wrong.

Also at 2:20, 2:26, 2:39.

I am not trying to be difficult and the video shows how the anti-reverse bearing is not working.

Otherwise, I like everything about the reel especially for it being a lot less expensive than some other similar reels.