DIY Gear Sleeve Pin Punch

Started by Bill B, July 30, 2017, 09:31:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

I needed another drift punch and instead of taking the 20 minutes to go buy one, I spent 50 minutes making one.. :P..well made two....any way I used an 8 penny and 10 penny finish nails, chucked them in a drill press and using a file, ground them down and smoothed them to 0.059".  Used the 10p today and it was stout enough to punch a stubborn gear sleeve pin.  I purposely left the tip shorter than the diameter of the gear sleeve to give a little more stiffness, because I can use a pair of needle nose pliers to pull it all the way out.   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

ScottOz

Nice work Bill.That's  is a good idea.

Tiddlerbasher

foakes

Good and clever engineering, Captain --

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

QuoteI needed another drift punch and instead of taking the 20 minutes to go buy one, I spent 50 minutes making one.. Tongue..well made two....any way I used an 8 penny and 10 penny finish nails, chucked them in a drill press and using a file, ground them down and smoothed them to 0.059".

But you didn't waste any gas!  ;) Well done, Bill! Many times being creative is the key to hobbies like reel repair & rod making/repair. I make, and adapt, more utensils out of old stock & tools I have lying around the shop than I ever go to the store and buy.  It makes the experience that much more pleasurable and rewarding. ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Bill B

Thanks guys.....cant say it was a "fun" project....but it was interesting using a drill press as a "lathe".....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Swami805

I couldn't find a small enough punch locally so I used a small drill bit and an old plastic file handle. Chucked the bit in a drill and got it red hot and drilled it into the handle. Once it cooled in the handle it's stuck in there firmly and the blunt end of the bit is the perfect size for the gear sleeve pin. Not fancy but works!
Do what you can with that you have where you are