Preparing to fish the 16/0

Started by The Great Maudu, July 31, 2017, 12:05:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Way to go, Mike! You know, you flaunted convention going braid on top. I'm thinking lack of stretch here actually helped you maintain pressure on that fish and helped shorten the fight. 90 minutes is enough. I certainly don't want to pull on anything four hours holding that rig, not even a swivel.

What a great ride, thanks for bringing us!

John

The Great Maudu

Ha! You not hurting my feelings. The only thing bothering me is where that fighting belt was dug into my legs. I think this new set up is the cure. It's an Aftco Clarion belt with a Maxforce stand up harness. I've been telling them about you and all your Penn's and the giant Everol. You would love this.

thorhammer

Quote from: Shark Hunter on August 28, 2017, 12:53:39 PM
I am just kidding you Mike,
I take nothing away from your epic Catch.
What a Monster! :o

when are you going back down? bout three weeks isn't it?

Tightlines667

Quote from: The Great Maudu on August 28, 2017, 01:26:46 PM
Ha! You not hurting my feelings. The only thing bothering me is where that fighting belt was dug into my legs. I think this new set up is the cure. It's an Aftco Clarion belt with a Maxforce stand up harness. I've been telling them about you and all your Penn's and the giant Everol. You would love this.

My dad and myself have used that same harness/belt setup since the early 1990s to land numerous big game and it worked great.  Of course we always had short 5'6" standup rods on 80s, 12/0, 9/0s, or 50s.  All the big fish I have caught on my new boat have gotten caught from the Hawaiian Shotguns though.  No one seems to enthusiastic about standup with the 14/0s.  Those AFTCO bucket harnesses do look good though.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

The Great Maudu

I would love to come Hawai and fish with you John. The braid on top is to do exactly what you said. No stretch makes 600 yard hook ups easier and controlling the fish easier. The guys I fish with use nothing but braid and it works for them.

Shark Hunter

Quote from: The Great Maudu on August 28, 2017, 01:26:46 PM
I learned that same way Mike. You need top Notch Gear to fight these Monsters.
After that Cheap Tsunami plate did a number on my Legs, It was time for an upgrade.
Looks like you had the same one. ;)
No one on that Pier has any Idea what kind of pressure a fish like this can put on you.
(Except for the few that are helping you land it)
It is a Fulcrum effect, and it goes straight to your legs.
Life is Good!

jnd1959

Excellent fish and video.  That wait to set the hook can seem like forever. Thanks for sharing.

The Great Maudu

Due to inclement weather we haven't been able to get the big rigs out since Saturday night. However, it looks like tomorrow night is going to be good. It will be my last chance to go this trip. The water temp has dropped significantly and that is good for fishing. There is so much activity in the surf. We are seeing huge rays, dolphin, millions of hatch, lady fish, red fish, blue runners, needle fish and turtles. With all that life you know the sharks have to be around. We haven't been sitting idle though. Surf fishing is second only to shirking in my book. This morning we got in on Blues feeding frenzy and caught about 25 before it ran out. I'll conclude this adventure tomorrow night a report the outcome.

Shark Hunter

I can only Imagine the way you feel after catching that Monster.
That is going to be hard to top.
I will be happy with a 10 footer.
That is enough Monster for me. ;)
Life is Good!

The Great Maudu

Brother the northeast gulf is full of life. It is only going to get better as fall approaches. F you have good weather  you should do real well.  I'll let you know how I feel about catching the monster.

oc1

Did you get a barometric pressure drop from Harvey?  That will really set them off this time of year.
-steve

Cortez_Conversions

What a great read! Thanks for taking us along!
Tom
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

thorhammer

Tom that was a tease. When I see you had commented I expected to see where you are asking for color preference on 14  / 16 plates 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

The Great Maudu

Well, this fishing expedition has ended. After I caught the big shark last Saturday night the weather took a turn for the worse and shut down the pier fishing. I was able to get out 3 nights all total and caught the fish on the third night. For the past two years the big rod and reel sat in my bedroom and I would imagine whenever I looked at it, what it must be like to fight a big fish with it. It was awesome while it lasted and will be a memory I'll have the rest of my life. Here are a few last pics.

King rigger

Sweet! Florida panhandle is very sharky,Senators rule brother!