Preparing to fish the 16/0

Started by The Great Maudu, July 31, 2017, 12:05:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Great Maudu

That would be great Brother. I love the click click of double dogs. You should have found something in your today.

Shark Hunter

Thanks my Man!
I was eyeballin' that piece.
Life is Good!

Penn Chronology

Great story, rig and fish Mike.................

The Great Maudu

Thanks Mike. It was one of those time when everything came together like it was supposed to.

Penn Chronology

Classic combo Mike. Very near to the one used in the movie Jaws. I assume it is a 80 or 130 # class rod. The Jaws combo had a straight wood butt; but, matched all the traits of your rig. Good luck, hope you catch a Jaws type shark with it...<:O)

The Great Maudu

I would say that rod is unlimited class. I have never come across a bigger stouter rod. I didn't catch jaws yet but the 14' tiger was still a handful.

Penn Chronology

QuoteI would say that rod is unlimited class. I have never come across a bigger stouter rod. I didn't catch jaws yet but the 14' tiger was still a handful.

I have a Montauk built 130 pound class rod built on a Shakespeare blank. The diameter of the rod at the tip end is 7/16 of an inch. If your rod blank is 1/2 inch or heavier I would think it is an Unlimited blank.

A 14 foot Tiger Shark is an amazing fish.

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Shark Hunter on October 07, 2017, 08:08:11 PM
While I'm at it, Might as well double dog it with stainless dogs too. ;)
I'm doing a few 14/0's tonight.
Life is Good!

The Great Maudu

Quote from: Penn Chronology on October 16, 2017, 05:36:05 AM
QuoteI would say that rod is unlimited class. I have never come across a bigger stouter rod. I didn't catch jaws yet but the 14' tiger was still a handful.

I have a Montauk built 130 pound class rod built on a Shakespeare blank. The diameter of the rod at the tip end is 7/16 of an inch. If your rod blank is 1/2 inch or heavier I would think it is an Unlimited blank.

A 14 foot Tiger Shark is an amazing fish.

That got me thinking I should check it out and see what the diameter actually is.

oc1

It's been a long time, but I'm pretty sure the old 54 thread Harnell blanks had tips less than half-inch, but not much less.  54 thread is the old line class designation and equates to about 160 pound test.  Those blanks were sort of made for the 16/0 size reel.  Broom sticks.
-steve

The Great Maudu

Steve are you still thinking this a Harnell rod or is it a Harnell blank built by an unknown maker?

Penn Chronology

QuoteThat got me thinking I should check it out and see what the diameter actually is.

Mike, no doubt, your rod is an Unlimited Class model.

oc1

Mike, Harnells were black and I don't think they made one that long.  Roddy blanks were about that color but you could see the weave.  The reel handle post-dates Harnell and Roddy.  I was out of touch when that reel came along.  Also, the rod looks like it has an epoxy finish.  If the rod is not marked then it may have been made by the original user.
-steve

The Great Maudu

What a shame to create something like this and leave no record of who did it. Maybe it just wasn't that big of a deal.

oc1

I suspect the mentality was that you were going to make it distinctive and then keep it forever.  All the people that mattered would recognize it and know the maker.  The important part was knowing at a glance who to kick and wake up when the screaming started.
-steve