Preparing to fish the 16/0

Started by The Great Maudu, July 31, 2017, 12:05:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Great Maudu

Back in the hands of the master,  the big reel is getting a new stainless sleeve and double dogs. Second pic shows the washer from the bottom of the stack took the brunt of the force.

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Master Daron.  Sounds like mastodon.   :D I remember when he was a noob on the site.  Good going Master.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

Mike,
I'm going to have to ask you to check that cell phone at the door next time. ;)
I was very anxious to see this drag stack that reeled in a 14' tiger.
It was no worse for the wear. Only the bottom CF looked glazed.
This still amazes me. A simple 16/0 serviced properly with all stock parts accomplished this task.
I am proud to have made this happen for Mike.
The new stainless sleeve and double dogs will keep her at the ready for the next battle.
I offered a handle upgrade with Adam's new offset arm and Alan's 5.0 grip, but he wanted no part of it.
He wants to keep it old school, but new on the inside. I call that a sleeper. 8)
Life is Good!

Penn Chronology

QuoteHe wants to keep it old school, but new on the inside. I call that a sleeper. Cool

I call that a Sleeper too. Nothing wrong with that. When you are targeting monster you need to get an advantage. It is very impressive to catch these killer fish with old school reels.

The Great Maudu

Quote from: Penn Chronology on October 30, 2017, 06:17:34 AM
QuoteHe wants to keep it old school, but new on the inside. I call that a sleeper. Cool

I call that a Sleeper too. Nothing wrong with that. When you are targeting monster you need to get a advantage. It is very impressive to catch these killer fish with old school reels.

It's good for the fish and for the fisherman.

Tiddlerbasher

Shark Hunter

Mike,
I took the day off to spend with my son and grandkids on Halloween.
It gave me time to knock your reel out.
Double stainless dogs and ss sleeve.
Let me know when you are in town again and I can drop it off, or you can pick it up.
The fee is $50 for the sleeve. My labor cost is a case of beer.  ;)
The only thing I won't do as I do to my own reels, is transfer the 2 miles of line.
You are on your own with that brother.

Life is Good!

thorhammer

what are you transferring line TO?

Shark Hunter

A Duplicate reel.
Then swap the spools, if it is the first rotation.
Since Mike's mono is on the bottom, with the braid on top.
It would have to be wound on another reel,
Check the spool, polish, wax, then wind it back on.
That would be 4 miles of winding.
I'm going to have to pass on that one. ::)
Life is Good!

Donnyboat

Good work Daran, as usual, did you think with the bottom CF washer glazing like that, would it help, if that one was a bit thicker, could the drag stack still fit, just a thought, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

thorhammer

Got it. Agree. I still haven't lined mine pending Harnell completion. Btw I'll bring you a case just to sit and observe the work.  I'll bring one for me too 😎👍🏻👍🏻👊🏼🍻

The Great Maudu

Thank you Brother I really do appreciate your work. Those double dogs look really cool. I can't wait to hear how she sounds when cranking. I'll be back week after next and you can bring it over.