Preparing to fish the 16/0

Started by The Great Maudu, July 31, 2017, 12:05:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Mike this has been a truly epic thread and in every way imo embodies AT. Wow. I hate to see it end; what a great ride, from the gear prep to the fish to the better half getting it done in the surf as well as cradle 0C getting some burn. 

I have to go to Cindy soon and maybe work it out to meet you Ky sharkin boys in person.

Swami805

Great post from begining to end Mike, Thanks. The last picture with you and the rod puts the size of it into perspective. It is huge! Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

The Great Maudu

Quote from: thorhammer on September 01, 2017, 11:49:02 PM
Mike this has been a truly epic thread and in every way imo embodies AT. Wow. I hate to see it end; what a great ride, from the gear prep to the fish to the better half getting it done in the surf as well as cradle 0C getting some burn. 

I have to go to Cindy soon and maybe work it out to meet you Ky sharkin boys in person.

Thank you. If you get to Cincinnati give me a shout and we'll make it happen.

bhale1

Uhm.....
I am in no way qualified, and can barely figure out how to post pics at time, ....but have to say that last pic in black and white is awesome!!!!! You set a goal, made a plan, prepared, and  succeeded in making it happen!! That pic says it all to me!! Congratulations!!
Brett

The Great Maudu

Thanks Brett. The only thing missing is the Shark, tail roped and hoisted by block and tackle right next to me. But it's a different time and in that regard a better time with catch, photo and release. One thing I haven't mentioned is after getting the shark to the sand and removing the hooks, the revival process started. Brent, pictured below with me, spent about 30 minutes in waist deep water making sure the big fella was rested and ready to return home. Imagine being right next to a 14' shark as its feistiness returns in the dark with only a hand held spotlight illuminating the scene.

swill88

Quote from: The Great Maudu on September 02, 2017, 01:51:36 PM
Thanks Brett. The only thing missing is the Shark, tail roped and hoisted by block and tackle right next to me. But it's a different time and in that regard a better time with catch, photo and release. One thing I haven't mentioned is after getting the shark to the sand and removing the hooks, the revival process started. Brent, pictured below with me, spent about 30 minutes in waist deep water making sure the big fella was rested and ready to return home. Imagine being right next to a 14' shark as its feistiness returns in the dark with only a hand held spotlight illuminating the scene.

Mike, I hope to be like you and Brent when I grow up.

Great work!

Steve

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

biggiesmalls

Awesome thread Mike. Crazy to think two of the best sharkers I've had the pleasure of talking to are from a landlocked state!

Glad to hear you had a good time.
Drew

The Great Maudu

We're the Shark Brothers, lol and we live 10 minutes from each other.  I used to think I had more saltwater fishing gear than anybody who lived a thousand miles from the ocean. That is until I met Daron. I hope one of these days we'll get to fish together. Thanks for the kind words Drew.

Donnyboat

Really good Mike, thanks for showing, should have my 14/0 together soon, cant wait, thanks again, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

The Great Maudu

Imagine that bite 8-)

The Great Maudu

After getting the big reel back home I noticed there was some play between the crank and the sleeve post. Shark Hunter is going to install a new stainless steel sleeve to care of the problem. Here's a pic of what it looks like now.

Bill B

I call that  battle scar....abuse would be if it was green with corrosion and black from dirty grease.  That is a scar to be proud of....the old adage comes to mind ( I apologize it it sounds bad and delete if necessary) Pain is short, scars are forever, and chicks dig scars  ;)....I bet that shark sure is digging the scars on that sleeve, brother....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

The Great Maudu

Ha, I never thought about it that way. In a perfect world that would never happen. The rod would pull on the fish and the crank would simply wind the line back onto the spool. Shark Hunter will take care of it when I get back in town.

Shark Hunter

While I'm at it, Might as well double dog it with stainless dogs too. ;)
I'm doing a few 14/0's tonight.
Life is Good!