John Baker 12 Tutorial

Started by Bryan Young, May 30, 2011, 05:39:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Quote from: ksandin on April 01, 2015, 05:17:55 AM
Thank you Bryan.  I found this one for sale for a very reasonable price due to the fact that it's no longer made.  As I started to do research on it I found your tutorial which gave me the confidence to purchase.

It's a great reel with the updated shift mechanism and the other updates made during production before they quit producing it.

Thanks again,

Keith

Welcome Keith.

JB are unreal strong reels...I got more drag out of these little reels than the larger, beefier Avet EX series reels. 

But I can honestly say, I truly hate working on these reels with the updated shift mechanism when the reel is not shifting right.  As you notice in my pictures, all of the springs are cut and not finished.  Finished meaning that the spring ends with a flat mating surface.  These springs may get caught in the shifting mechanism and will deform.  So, if your reel starts to have shifting problems, you may want to consider purchasing the following Penn Parts:

Penn Part 172A-15KG (I needed 2 of these)
Penn Part 18L-15KG (I used a one reel and wasted 3 in the trial and error cutting to find the proper length)
Penn Part 18H-15KG (I used one in the reel and wasted 2 in the trial and error cutting also to find the proper length)

Luckly, I purchased 4 of each part, and I think I will stock a few more just in case.

But the victory of success still looms over me and I'm quite satisfied that the reel that I just repaired, according to the owner, never quite shifted correctly, and now it does.

When you do take this reel apart, and run into problems, don't hesitate to ping me.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

ksandin

Thanks for the part numbers and the heads-up on the new style shifter, that saves having to reinvent the wheel!

I will definitely message you when/if I run into problems!

It is filled with 65# JB spectra x 40# Momoi diamond topshot....do you think that's a good combo for this reel?

Keith

Bryan Young

The 3 or 4 JB 12 that I serviced appeared to have 80# or 100# spectra with 80#+ topshots.  I think I was able to get 30# or 33# of drag.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

conniek

Very nice tutorial.  Now I know why I stick to Shimano freshwater baitcasters only. LOL> Pictures are clear and you did a great job explaining each step. thanks.
We offer training to those lucky folks who want to go into this exciting biz of rod and reel repair or learn how to repair their own reels. We also have a "Fishing Reel Maintenance" video on the market today.Come learn the biz and makes lots of money. :) maybe not.
Gary Yamamato staff for over 10 y

Mac53

I have a new, unused Baker in the box sitting in my closet.  I purchase it prior to them closing from Charkbait.  It is black and I believe this color was only done on a few reels.  Gold was always standard.  Mac

Kenstix

Hey Folks ~ Does Anyone know How i can get a-hold of John Baker or His frames ?

Thanks ~ Kenstix

gecsr1

are your bearing sizes correct, no one seems to have a 10x17x5 mm bearing ?
I checked Boca bearing and amazon .
Boca says no such bearing

Thanks

Bryan Young

I'm pretty sure. Without a reel to confirm, one will never know.  Take apart your reel and measure yourself and please correct me if I'm wrong.

gecsr1

okay will do...
just do a search for a 10x17x5 bearing on boca bearing.com  they say no such bearing...
have a great day...

Robert Janssen

Just Google it. I did. Found them immediately.

Rcscherz210

I recently purchased a set of 3 of these baker reels.  One of them isn't working well.  The reel will not shift to low gear and the reel doesn't go into freespool unless the preset knob is backed all the way off, but then it has no drag.  Is this something you have fixed before?