Packing bearings

Started by Anglerbud, August 03, 2017, 07:39:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anglerbud

First post please give me grace.  I have been lurking around trying to understand the bearing portion of reel cleaning and maintenance.  Everything else I understand pretty well. 

I'm not sure what are considered spool bearings and what are non spool bearings.  For example,  I have a Shimano Calcutta 400 that has 1 bearing on each side plate and a grey plastic bushing on the spool itself directly behind the spool pin.  So, which is which in this example?  Also,  if you were to upgrade to boca bearings for all 3,  which ones would you buy as there are several to choose from. 

Once I understand what are spool bearings and which bocas to buy,  I need to know which ones to pack with grease?  Do I pack open bearings or closed or both?

If I buy Alan's packer kit, where do I buy a grease gun and 3oz cartridges for his kit?

Thanks for your help in advance!

ScottOz

Hi Anglerbud, Welcome to the family. If you go in to the Shimano section on reel's there is a tutorial on a Calcutta. Pretty sure that on a reel such as a Calcutta most folks here would use a light oil and not grease.Tsi 321 I think it is.Grease will give better protection but would make that reel a pain to use as the spool would not spin very fast when casting.On your reel the spool shaft is fixed to the spool and spins in the bearing.On a larger overhead (think TLD) the spool shaft is not fixed to the spool and the spool runs on bearings in side the spool.There is a TLD tutorial in the Shimano section and the pictures should make more sense then my description.I pack my small bearings by putting a blob of grease in a zip lock bag with the bearing and mush it around for a couple of minutes.Hopefully you will get a few more reply from some of the more experienced guys that know their stuff.
Cheers Scott

johndtuttle

Quote from: Anglerbud on August 03, 2017, 07:39:13 PM
First post please give me grace.  I have been lurking around trying to understand the bearing portion of reel cleaning and maintenance.  Everything else I understand pretty well. 

I'm not sure what are considered spool bearings and what are non spool bearings.  For example,  I have a Shimano Calcutta 400 that has 1 bearing on each side plate and a grey plastic bushing on the spool itself directly behind the spool pin.  So, which is which in this example?  Also,  if you were to upgrade to boca bearings for all 3,  which ones would you buy as there are several to choose from. 

Once I understand what are spool bearings and which bocas to buy,  I need to know which ones to pack with grease?  Do I pack open bearings or closed or both?

If I buy Alan's packer kit, where do I buy a grease gun and 3oz cartridges for his kit?

Thanks for your help in advance!

A "spool bearing" is a bearing that the spool shaft rides on ergo affects the spinning of the spool.

Light oil is best, but TBH, you don't have to knock yourself out with the latest and greatest fast oil, 3 in 1 or Corrosion-X are more all purpose (ie better for worms and handles and such) than TSI 321 which is very fast lube and a little pricey for general use.

If you were trying to maximize the tuning for a reel specifically for casting very light lures (ie 1/4oz and even under) then you want as fast as possible. But for casting heavier stuff in the 1/2 to 3/4 oz range then TSI 321 is not at all necessary.

Remember, you have casting brakes on the reel and in fact, they are slowing the bearings down so you can control them easier. Some guys even purposely grease their spool bearings to slow them when casting very heavy stuff. Nothing is going to give you more distance than control until your casting becomes more advanced.

Bearings on main drive shafts, under handles or the ARB get light grease, because they have no effect on casting and you don't notice when cranking. Grease is always best for max corrosion resistance.

Also, oil the bearings/bushing on the worm, and the worm itself regularly. These are always trouble spots for LW reels used in the salt.

Just ask yourself does this bearing have to be fast (synced to casting worm bearing) or doesn't matter (handle bearing)?

Tiddlerbasher

The only thing I would add, to what has already been suggested, for ARBs I have had problems using grease. Not all reels/makes but still quite a few. Grease can make them slip ie not do their job. What I now use extensively is CorrosionX for ARBs - it seems to give pretty good protection but doesn't cause the bearing to slip.

Bill B

Anglebud,all are welcome here.  A better bunch of people cannot be found.  Not so on some other forums.  We do not tolerate that here....ask any question and we will answer.  What was said above is spot on and good advice. Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

alantani

here's the old bearing post.  it should help.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13.0 

for now, hold off on the bearing packer.  let's see how your reels hold up without. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

handi2

If you can send me a PM I can send you the 3 bearings needed no charge. This will save you a few dollars for when you get the bug and start fixing your friends reels ;D

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!