Pro Gear's future?

Started by mackereljoe, August 03, 2017, 08:25:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mackereljoe

Just perusing Charkbait's web and Pro Gear reels were taken off due to loss of confidence.  So looking online there seems be some price reduction specially the Vengeance version.   Can anyone shed some light on what's going on with Pro Gear?

mizmo67

http://charkbait.com/cs/CSR-ProGear.htm

QuoteWe're pulling back a bit on ProGear. Have some questions about their future, long term product support from firm's owner. We like the product, a machined aluminum star drag series of reels is a good thing, especially at an aggressive price point. But there's no way we can support it unless we know clearly our clients will receive appropriate long term product support/parts etc.

Reads like they and/or customers haven't been able to get parts?
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

MarkT

Does that refer to the original pro gear line or the new one?  There isn't a date on that notice.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

nelz

I refuse to buy any product named "Vengeance" or "Violator". Violator, really? In Spanish that's the word used for rapist.

mizmo67

Quote from: nelz on August 04, 2017, 12:03:54 AM
I refuse to buy any product named "Vengeance" or "Violator". Violator, really? In Spanish that's the word used for rapist.

Wow..yeah, marketing wise that is a horrid name choice.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

PacRat

Pretty much the same thing they said about Calstar. They can be pretty aggressive when it comes to supporting our fishing manufacturing community. With that said; they believe they're supporting us, the fishing consumer. That's why I like it here. The Ohana is loyal and we support one another through thick and thin.

SoCalAngler

ProGear went out of the business of manufacturing reels before. They had a kind of online support for their earlier models if you were in the "know" but that left many with gear that sooner or later needed support and they could not get it. Then ProGear came back to life manufacturing new reels at a great price. IMO is seems they have the same issue now as before. They can't keep up with demand and it takes money, a whole lot of it when any manufacture reaches a certain point and if new money is not brought to the table things start to fall apart, many times quickly.

Do I know for a fact this is the issue with ProGear now? No, but it really seems like a repeat of when they went out of the reel manufacturing business before.

We here in So Cal have seen things like this in the past when it comes to gear. Companies like Baker Reels, OC Rods, Braid Products (though Barid has been bought and may rise from the ashes) and now it seems Progear can't keep up with the growing pains of getting larger. The amount of time, effort and yes money can't keep up with the demand of their product.

This sucks as I have seen many really great products that just can't get over the hump of getting larger.

foakes

SoCalAngler is likely real close to right on --

In the retail consumer product business -- there are many facets and variations to a mode of successful operation and implementation.

Quality

Low Price

Volume

----------------------------------------------

New Innovation & Development

Service & Parts Support

Wholesale Dealer Support

Reputation for Quality

Brand Recognition

Warranty

While every one of these are vital and important -- many companies try to go with the first 3 to establish a business.  And the balance is tricky -- and most companies eventually, cannot keep all three of the balls in the air.

Problems arise when a product is sold too cheaply, and it takes too much capital to service the volume of demand.  Some companies can weather this -- most cannot keep up with the merry-go-round of putting out fires constantly -- while trying to raise the capital necessary to go to the next level.  The next level is a high bar.

Tens of thousands of worthy companies with great products -- have gone by the wayside when the realities of paying the bills, taxes, and making a payroll every week -- come home to roost.

Just my opinions...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

David Hall

Sorry to hear this, Impurchased one of there new 20 series reels this year, I like it, its gearing is smooth and the reel is solid.  Plenty of drag for a Squidder size reel.  I would have bought a couple more.

mike1010

Quote from: nelz on August 04, 2017, 12:03:54 AM

I don't let it keep me from a purchase, but I agree with your point, and will say that Penn isn't a whole lot better with "Battle," "Carnage,"...

mackereljoe

So I purchase one anyway and the V22 is over built and seems more so than the AS.  The main gear.... I can't compare to anything in my quiver.  The drag washer are so thick that I think Bryan can make it 7 stack.  Hope PG gets through the growing pains and continue producing reels.

MarkT

A V22 should be called an Osprey, not a Violator!

mackereljoe

Quote from: MarkT on August 06, 2017, 08:48:54 PM
A V22 should be called an Osprey, not a Violator!

Well the reel is not refined just like an I Osprey.  Kinda clunky in and out of gear and it's hard to disengage at times.  My CS 551 seems to be smoother in that regards, hopefully it will improve after a reasonable break-in period.

MarkT

I don't think the new Pro Gear has anything to do with the originals other than the name. Kinda like the current Sabre rods as compared to the originals.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: MarkT on August 07, 2017, 04:36:02 AM
I don't think the new Pro Gear has anything to do with the originals other than the name. Kinda like the current Sabre rods as compared to the originals.

Wrong. Progear never sold their name to another manufacture like American Tackle did when they sold the Sabre lines name to Penn.

Check Progear info here. http://cabusinesssearch.com/PRO-GEAR-SPORT-FISHING-PRODUCTS-INC

Check Kody's Sport (New Progear) here.https://www.corporationwiki.com/p/2f3nfu/kodys-sport-llc 

Look at the owners name for both, and note the last page shows the Kody's Sport and Progear's connection.