Jerky drag Newell 454 question

Started by mackereljoe, August 03, 2017, 10:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mackereljoe

Reel was jerky since new.  I replaced the original drag to carbon fiber and somewhat improved.  Also ordered the 5 stack Bryan's kit at Penn parts and it seems to improve a little; was being jerky at #5 and with 5 stack it gets jerky around 6.  Hoping that I can get at least a smooth #8 and fix the jerkiness so can be use #40 flylining live squid.  Reading some of the previous post, one possibility maybe the spool rubbing in the frame at higher drag setting due to torqueing.  If so, how do you test for it?  Last time I used the reel was over 15 years ago and a schoolie yellowfin kicked my ####.  The reel is loaded with 450 yards #80 spectra and 120 yards of #40 mono and with #5 of drag it's really sad.  Appreciate any input.

Swami805

Did you grease the drags?  If not that should smooth it out.  With a drag kit it it you should get way better numbers than your getting now. Might check a schematic and make sure everything is back we're it should be. There's a bunch of schematics on here, should be able to find your model
Do what you can with that you have where you are

mackereljoe

Yup, drag is greased.  Takes off and put together at least 5 times while watching bachelorette.  The thing that gets me is that the drag was super smooth until it hit around #5 then it gets jerky.  Have to order another set of 5 stack since I ended up putting it in an old pro gear and wow, the difference of smoothness and drag increased was significant.  

Newell Nut

We could guess all day here but on my bench the problem would go away unless you have a bent spool shaft.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

my guess also is a flexing spool shaft.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Yogi_fish808

At those low settings even an ungreased drag shouldn't feel terrible. Could be the spool lip rubbing the inner rings but to really fix this issue it sounds like you need to have someone experienced with newells take a look at it.

mackereljoe

Confirmed.  It was the spool rubbing on the right side at 1 to 3 o'clock.  Always amazed that the board expertise is able diagnosed the problem unseen.  It was hard for me to believe that a spool will flex like that.  Thank you all.

alantani

first, let's check the amount of drag you're using.  the 400 series newells are basically 3/0 penn senators.  as such, they are really 30 pound reels and they work best with 9 pounds of drag.  if you are using more drag than that, let's back off the drag and see if you still have problems with the spool shaft flexing.  if the problem goes away with 9 pounds of drag, then just load the reel with straight 30 pound mono, set the drag to 9 pounds and stick with that. 

if you still have problems with 9 pounds of drag, check the bearings.  if the bearings are rough at all, try replacing them.  that may center the spool a little better.  ds

if the spool still rubs at 9 pounds of drag and the bearings are good, then check to see if the spool shaft is bent.  a run out gauge really helps. 

and last, it may come down to having to either have to dremmel away at the inside ring or the spool. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Yogi_fish808

I build a lot of wide 400/500 series for the Ulua Fishing guys here and the spool rubbing problem has come up multiple times. Sometimes under lower drag numbers they'll be ok but ulua guys do need the option of heavy-lock down drag from time to time, so any rubbing is unacceptable. Sometimes swapping rings to opposite sides works. I can be frame flex causing the issue due to the wide frame. Sometimes it can be the sideplates having slight tolerance differences, I've swapped identical model plates into a reel with spool rubs and had it work fine. If all else fails that a dremel carbide bit and open the inside radius of the ring till it has enough clearance.

I wish I wasn't so familiar with that issue....it took me months to finish an R550 build for a friend because every spool or stock/tiburon frame combo kept rubbing under heavy drag. Ended up using a Tib 550 spool, grinding the rings slightly and stock R550 bars/base because the tib 1pc frame simply wouldn't clear the spool lip under pressure.

Aloha,
Kyle

mackereljoe

Appreciate all the great help.  Looks like I'll be doing the daunting task of shaving a little.  Before this board, i will not dare opening a reel, now look at me actually doing some mod.  Thank you.

Newell Nut

If you don't need high speed and you want to fish heavy drag then switch to a 500 series with a d 3.2 gear. This one has the heavy shafted spool that will not flex and is the same diameter spool as the 400 series. Bonus is a larger gear with bigger drags and double dogs. Good Luck with the repair.

mackereljoe

Success! Got the smooth 9 pounds drag with full spool.  The spool shaft is pretty small no wonder it flex.  Very happy that the reel can be useful again.  Will load the reel now to 3/4 spectra and short mono for Sand Dab early next year.