When to snell

Started by jzman, July 30, 2017, 08:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jzman

My main go-to knots is SD jam and palomar knot.  I was wondering when do you use snell knots?  I never really seen anyone use it here in Southern California.  Also, out of all the methods to snell the knot, I noticed the only one where there isn't a line over-lapping the barrel is the nail knot snell.  Is that the better method?

Thanks

Swami805

Think it depends on the hook style, if the eye is bent like an octopus hook or baitholder I like to snell them.I Use those hooks for grubs for surf perch, I think it helps a little to have a straight pull on the hook.Also the knot is inside of the grub so junk doesn't hang up on it. Otherwise I'm with you on the SD and palomar knot.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

happyhooker

I had never heard of an SD Jam knot; checked & now that I see it, I gotta give it a try.

I had given up on snells for a time; am trying them again, using a uniknot tied on the hook shank after the line is passed thru the hook eye.  Only using on hooks with turned up or turned down eyes.

Frank

FatTuna

Snelling is mainly done on octopus hooks (offset eye). First you run the line through the eye and then snell the hook shank. If you are tying knots on octopus hooks, you are going to get a worse hookset. Snelling keeps the hook point parallel with the line.

You can snell a regular hook too but you shouldn't pass the line through the eye. Just snell the shank.

Snelling comes in handy if you are tying rigs that require multiple hooks. In other words, leave the tag end of the snell long and tie on a second hook.   

Snelling is super strong. I do it on all my striped bass and ground fishing hook.s Not worth doing with micro-diameter line, too tedious. For the large stuff, I use crimps.

Pipe dream

I Snell all of my hook leaders. Makes for a better hook set.

philaroman

hey, I started w/ third-world spade-eye (eyeless) hooks, where snelling was the only option

Gfish

I tie mine with the snell so that after I tie the knot,  I can push the the main line back down through the eye, thus giving me a loop. Once the bait is on, I cinch the loop around the bait. Works fantastic for salmon/steelhead/trout roe, with the skaine(spelling?) held nicely by the loop. Works well for anything except the softer stuff.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!