Mitchell 410A Spinning Reel

Started by gumpie44, August 04, 2017, 10:52:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gumpie44

Have A Mitchell 410A Reel Euro Model Circa 78-83, Lite Blue color, Alloy Spool, Grey Plastic  Drag Knob & Handle. I've Owned This Reel For 30 Years or More, Fished it in Salt Water And It Is Rough Cond. Mitchell Paint Is Not Very Durable! The Blue Color Is Lighter Than The Midnight Blue Of The 400 Series Reels.   The Badge Is Gone, Also The Tape Around The Rotor.  Would Like To Freshen It Up A Little. Parts Hard To Find. I Gave It Proper Care but Mitchell Spinners Don't Do Well In Salt Water.  Mechanically It Is Fine, Just Needs Some Body Parts, Maybe A Donor Reel Or Frame, Plate Or Rotor.
Thanks
Barry
Barry
Carpe  Diem   The Days Go Fast

Goby

Great reels. Used to have an arsenal of 300s, 400s and 410s, all with spare spools when I match (competition) fished in England 30 odd years ago. But as you said they don't like salt water, brought some of them with me to Australia and, unfortunately, they all died in the salt even though looked after. You must have really looked after yours for it to be in such good nick using it in the salt. I have a mate who used to be a distributor who has bucket loads of d bits and pieces will see if he has any parts, I doubt it for your model but will give him a bell.

Cheers,

Howard
Fishing, motorbikes, family, friends, beer and bourbon, but not necessarily in that order!

gumpie44

Thanks For The Response , Over !00  Have Viewed This Post , No One Seems To Have Any Parts, Guess This Was More Rare Than I Thought.
I Can Find Some NOS Parts On E-Bay And A Few Used Reels, Most Are More Beat Up Than Mine And VERY High Priced. Just Want To Clean It UP A Little..... Better Spool And Side Plate Maybe, No Salt Water Use Now Just Fresh Water, Just Thought I Could Show Some Respect For It's Long Service. Most 410 Parts Are The Same But The Light Blue Color Is Unique To This Euro  :) Model, Hoped To Find Some Better Vintage Parts To Improve Mine. And Match Better To My Vintage Paint.  Have Asked For And Gotten Help Other Times, Many On This Site Are Very Helpful With Their Time And Knowledge.
Thanks For Your Interest
Barry   :)
Barry

foakes

Not too many reel painted parts are durable for 30+ years in the salt, Barry --

If it were mine, with the memories attached -- I would consider a full disassemble, cleaning, dip and strip the frame, rotor and sideplate -- repaint with a good quality matching spray paint.

Reassemble, replace any worn interior parts with new -- find a spool, if needed -- and it would be good for another 30 years.

Finding a good body, rotor, and sideplate -- or a donor reel -- for a non-gouging price -- is not impossible -- but tough.

I likely have any interior parts, if they are standard Mitchell -- possibly a spool.

Just don't have the exterior painted paerts you posted about.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Goby

Hi Barry,

Talked to my mate and, apart for spares for his reels, he passed the others on to the new owner. He also said that apart from spares for big Mitchells, and it seems my ones that were in far worse condition than yours, he can't remember any others. He will give the new owner a bell but doesn't hold much hope.

Cheers
Fishing, motorbikes, family, friends, beer and bourbon, but not necessarily in that order!

gumpie44

Thanks For The Help And Advice  Fred & Goby...... Think I'll Just Leave It As Is And Be Proud It Looks As Good As It Does, I wrote In My Post I Wanted A " Better " Side Plate And Spool.... Meant To Say Rotor, Got A Couple Of The Spools Last Year From Fred And They Are Fine. thought a used part nicer than I have would be available, Thought NOS or Pristine Parts Would Be Out Of Place On The 30 Yr Housing,  maybe a donor with a broken stem Or One Not Used For Another Reason.   so I think I will just leave it as is, unless I find the parts I need. As Fred Pointed Out For A 30 Yr Old Reel Fish In Salt Water It Looks Pretty Good.
Thanks
Barry
Barry

Goby

Hi Barry,

Sorry no luck. As an aside my 300s were black and my 410s dark blue, I never saw one your colour. Strange as Mitchells, closed faced ABUs and centrepins were the most popular and, at the time expensive, match fishing reels you could get. None of the Mitchells had metal spools, that we bought, all plastic and came in three sizes, deep, which only the guys after big carp bought, standard (about 100m of 3lb) and match (about 100m of 1lb). ####, now my small reels take 300m of 30lb braid!
All said and done your Mitchell is a credit to you, wish I'd been as careful. Hope you enjoy her for another thirty years.

Cheers,

Howard

Midway Tommy

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

swill88

Quote from: gumpie44 on August 04, 2017, 10:52:37 AM
 Have A Mitchell 410A Reel Euro Model Circa 78-83, Lite Blue color, Alloy Spool, Grey Plastic  Drag Knob & Handle. I've Owned This Reel For 30 Years or More, Fished it in Salt Water And It Is Rough Cond. Mitchell Paint Is Not Very Durable! The Blue Color Is Lighter Than The Midnight Blue Of The 400 Series Reels.   The Badge Is Gone, Also The Tape Around The Rotor.  Would Like To Freshen It Up A Little. Parts Hard To Find. I Gave It Proper Care but Mitchell Spinners Don't Do Well In Salt Water.  Mechanically It Is Fine, Just Needs Some Body Parts, Maybe A Donor Reel Or Frame, Plate Or Rotor.
Thanks
Barry

That reel is too pretty... glad to hear you are keeping it as is.

Steve

gumpie44

Thanks For The Heads Up...... Going To Watch This Reel, The Side Plate And Badge Would Help Me, looks like the Spool And Knob Are Not Correct For A 410 A , Look Black Instead Of Grey, Hard To Tell From Photo.  Have Some Spools ( Thanks Fred ) , My Frame And Handle Are Not Too Bad, Hope To Find A Side Plate, Or A Badge, And A Rotor,  That Are Better Than Mine. But Not Some Crazy Price. Not Used In Salt Water Anymore.... Moved To Vegas !!! Don.t want To Make It New.... Just Think I Owe It Some Respect After All These Years Of Service, I know That Sounds Goofy But I'm Sure Most Of The Ohana Know How I Feel.  Thanks For The Help And Support. Will Post Updates As They Happen.
Barry
Barry