What is This?

Started by foakes, August 02, 2017, 01:14:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Going through some gear in the outer shop hat hasn't been looked at for a couple of decades.

Found this old bamboo rod.

In a box.

Makes a 3-piece 8' fly rod with (2) tip sections to choose from -- or a 5' 4" spinning rod.

All pieces are straight as an arrow -- appears lightly or never used.

Reminds me of Post War Japanese, or a custom, or???

Only markings are the word Cambridge.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Maxed Out

Looks like a fly rod and 2 different tips for different weights. Looks like a nice find and deserves to be displayed, or at least showed off once in a while.

-Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

bluefish69

Fred

That Bamboo Rod is to lite for what I'm looking for. I need a 7'-8' Bamboo Rod with Aget Guides that will fish 8-12oz Sinkers. I have a Wood Sidewinder to put on it for display.

If anyone has one let me know

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

philaroman

black thread w/ gold, right?   prob. Japanese -- those boxed combo sets had many, many names

oc1

You nailed it Fred and Phil.  Post war Japan with many names.  Grampus, Kiraku, Sakura, Seal, Mermaid, Mayflower, Azuma.  We'll add Cambridge to the list.  They were a very reasonable price in their day and everybody seemed to have one
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=21207.0
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=20598.0
-steve

Tiddlerbasher

x2 Steve.
I used to have one as a lad - so did several of my friends.
If I remember correctly one of my uncles (navy man) brought it back from the far east in the late 50s.
It came with a selection of flies and spinners. Happy days :)

Jim Fujitani

I agree, post war Japanese.  Dead giveaways are the box, rod grip, and design of fly/spin tip section set ups.  My dad had a set like it in black lacquer.  It was probably given to my dad by one of my uncles, a couple of whom served during occupation.

I rebuilt my Dad's in the mid 70's.  It took a lot of time and work because the kit was in poor condition, light weight ferrules were split, plus the blanks were covered with black lacquer that had to be stripped off. I rebuilt the handle and replaced the snake guides with foul proofs.  I dumped the spin tip section, terrible condition.  

I ended up with a 6/7 weight rod.  Landed a 7 pound steelhead on the lower Trinity the first trip out with it.  I retired the rod after a couple seasons.    

Midway Tommy

The comical thing about them is that a lot of the "pickers" and estate sale goers think they have nabbed their latest gold mine when they find one. I just shake my head at the antique store cubical consignments when I see the prices some rookies put on them.  ::)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oc1

Yeah, the quality of the metal reel seat and ferrules is not very good.  It was sort of the beginning of a new era of cheap imported junk.  They looked great with the nifty box though.
-steve

AU7172

You guys nailed it. Yeah I bought one at an estate sale once. Thought I found a real jewel. Well sometimes you win and sometimes you lose in the junk business.

sdlehr

Quote from: foakes on August 02, 2017, 01:14:26 AM
Makes a 3-piece 8' fly rod with (2) tip sections to choose from -- or a 5' 4" spinning rod.
Spinning rod with those guides? Was that the original way it was done?

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

foakes

Right, Sid --

That is the way it was originally done to my knowledge.

Or at least how I got it many years ago in an estate sale, probably.

However, I think it was likely a fly/baitcaster combo -- that makes more sense.

Since then, I found a few more old Japanese boxed rods stuck in the dark corners --

Here is a deep sea setup -- 2 tips -- one stiff, one more limber.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

sdlehr

Quote from: foakes on August 25, 2017, 07:06:27 PM
However, I think it was likely a fly/baitcaster combo -- that makes more sense.
That's what I was getting at, but early on it's possible that guides for spinning rods weren't what we are used to today... I really don't know.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector