Anyone have a "car kit"?

Started by biggiesmalls, August 09, 2017, 02:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Good luck with the down size Drew. In theory you pay for some stuff you want by selling stuff you don't want. My best advice is to you is once you get to your six rigs, STOP READING THIS FORUM!!! lol

I think I have five fly rods for some reason and don't fly fish, ever.....it just happens...

biggiesmalls

Quote from: thorhammer on August 10, 2017, 12:35:08 AM
Good luck with the down size Drew. In theory you pay for some stuff you want by selling stuff you don't want. My best advice is to you is once you get to your six rigs, STOP READING THIS FORUM!!! lol

I think I have five fly rods for some reason and don't fly fish, ever.....it just happens...

Lol, I'm not sold on a 4/0w yet but if I stick around I'm sure I will be, lol

I've got a 5 weight in the garage right now, I've tried fly fishing before, got really tired really quickly. I dunno if I can bring myself to sell that rod, I love the long whippy rod on a strong fish - but if I end up having an ultralight made from a 1-2 weight fly rod, it'll probably go. A 5 weight with a 1+ pound bluegill is loads of fun and I might even say a challenge to land the fish (using 2 lb mono), a 1 or 2 weight is going to be insane.

I kind of hate to see everything go, but I just don't use it - there's not much reason to keep it, the money can be much better spent, on stuff I will actually use.

biggiesmalls

Edit: don't worry about this post yet, still working on it :)

RowdyW

What Me Worry? ;D  ;D  ;D                Alferd E. Newman (a little before your time)  ;D

Rivverrat

Quote from: thorhammer on August 10, 2017, 12:35:08 AM
.....it just happens...

Yup....it sure does... Jeff

thorhammer

I had about 12-15 when I was your age. Fast forward a few hundred...and about a dozen tackle bags....and 50  shoe boxes of line, jig molds, parts, crap, more crap, thread,  epoxy, headlamps cause I keep buying when I cant find the one in the shop.....wash, rinse, repeat...and more crap.

At one point I was being harassed by my buddy "just because a boat has your name on it doesn't mean you have to buy it..."    I had four jonboats at the time lol

Tightlines667

I have a fly rod, and an okuma travel rod in 1 short tube, and a wading tackle bag with a spinning reel, fly reel, and appropriate tackle I generally keep in my 2 door truck.  Great for traveling too.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

biggiesmalls

Quote from: thorhammer on August 10, 2017, 02:50:06 AM
I had about 12-15 when I was your age. Fast forward a few hundred...and about a dozen tackle bags....and 50  shoe boxes of line, jig molds, parts, crap, more crap, thread,  epoxy, headlamps cause I keep buying when I cant find the one in the shop.....wash, rinse, repeat...and more crap.

At one point I was being harassed by my buddy "just because a boat has your name on it doesn't mean you have to buy it..."    I had four jonboats at the time lol
Lol, your buddy sounds like a funny guy :D
I hope to never have tons and tons of stuff just laying around - but I'm sure the day will come sooner or later. It's bad now, hopefully I can fix it and fix it for good.

I think I decided on some basic rigs to work with. I'll probably have three rigs for nearshore/offshore fishing. One for bottom stuff (grouper, snapper, and AJs/almacos/pompano), one for nearshore stuff (mostly cobia, but could be modified for tarpon, drum, and others), and one for toothy stuff (sharks, barracudas, big bluefish, kingfish all come to mind).
I can do all of those with 8/0 circles, #9-#10 single strand, 80 lb fluoro or mono, 4 and 8 ounce egg sinkers, balloons, 310 lb crane swivels, and MAYBE some #4 treble hooks. Keepin it simple here.

Cor

I have a small van that has permanent fishing stuff in it.   Depending what time of the year I change the type of fish I catch and accordingly the type of tackle.
I am a bit embarrassed to post a picture because it is usually a big mess.  :-[ :-[ :-[
Some of the stuff that I permanently have in the van is:-
Spare rod and reel & tackle for distance casting.
Fish box.
Spare fishing clothes and rain gear.
5 lit drinking water.
Spare line and a huge assortment of lures, hooks and sinkers in Winter.
Rucksack with ready gear and two rods that I actually use.
Rope gaff (redundant these days)
A long stick used for wading in winter as a "third leg" and for moving snakes out the road in summer
A device for collecting bait in Winter(can't mention what.... :-[)
Binoculars

The sad thing is that I have twice been ripped off over 25 years, once I saw them blatantly breaking in to my van from 300 mt down the mountain and could do nothing as they had seen me as I saw them.

I am the only one that uses this vehicle and because I fish so much and often at a whim (when the wind eases a bit) am always ready to go.

The contents annoys my wife but I feel blessed that I have this small cheap to run vehicle, always at the ready!

Cornelis

ez2cdave

Quote from: oc1 on August 09, 2017, 07:49:48 AM
Put rocket launchers on the front bumper with a rod and reel for every occasion.  :)
-steve

Replace the Driver's Seat with a Fighting Chair . . . LOL !

wailua boy

I always keep a small tackle box stashed in vehicle. Its come in handy on a few fishing trips when supplies run low or someone forgets something, its always there. I like to keep an ultra lite spinning outfit stashed too.

Shark Hunter

Drew,
I've been thinking of this setup since you posted this.
It is a two piece Davis rod. It has some really nice rollers on it and breaks down to about 4'.
This rod is several years old. Aftco filed a lawsuit for infringement for these rollers, so they don't make them like this anymore.
I caught my first shark on this rod. A 6 ' spinner.
130 to 160lb rated rod with a 12/0.
You could tuck this under the seat for a great car kit. ;)
Life is Good!

Gfish

Quote from: biggiesmalls on August 09, 2017, 10:09:24 PM
Quote from: Gfish on August 09, 2017, 09:52:56 PM

Great idea and great name diamondave(you a gambler?).

Biggie, the screw-on cap actually screws into a special female part that glues onto the main pipe. Kinda like a screw-in plug.
Gfish
Something kind of like this? (obviously without the tee):
https://flexpvc.com/pictures/ReducerBushing.png

Dave and Gfish, do you mind posting pictures of your tubes? I'm having a bit of a tough time envisioning how they're working. They sound like great ideas though!

Drew

Here's a couple a pics a my cartop rod carrier. It's about 5' 10", kinda heavy. I put foam rubber in the bottom cap before I glued it on and there's some in the screw-on cap for cushioning.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

AlcoholicFisherman

In my car at all times is a Daiwa telescopic rod paired to a Penn 146 and a multi-piece rod from Okuma matched with a Daiwa Legalis spinner for freshwater/lighter applications. Rounding it all out is a tackle bag with enough gear for most trips here.

Conveniently, there's a compartment inside my vehicle where the spare tire resides under the trunk. I put the bag in center of the spare tire and the rods in their tubes next to the wheel. Keeps everything out of sight from prowlers!

Cor

Quote from: AlcoholicFisherman on August 11, 2017, 10:32:26 AM
In my car at all times is a Daiwa telescopic rod paired to a Penn 146 and a multi-piece rod from Okuma matched with a Daiwa Legalis spinner for freshwater/lighter applications. Rounding it all out is a tackle bag with enough gear for most trips here.

Conveniently, there's a compartment inside my vehicle where the spare tire resides under the trunk. I put the bag in center of the spare tire and the rods in their tubes next to the wheel. Keeps everything out of sight from prowlers!
......or my Boss when I was still working! ;D ;D
Cornelis