Anyone have a "car kit"?

Started by biggiesmalls, August 09, 2017, 02:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapeFish

you get those Thule cross bars and you can fit snow board racks and kayak holders to them. The snowboard holders work very well for rods. They are obscenely expensive though where I live. We get locally made stainless steel lockable fishing rod holders that work really well. You may see what happens that with more experience you will actually go fishing with less tackle and put fewer rods out at a time as you understand conditions more you can focus better and follow less of a "calling all pockets approach". It is, however, difficult if you live far from the coast and you want to try and cover all eventualities in the limited time you have on vacation.

ez2cdave

Quote from: Shark Hunter on August 11, 2017, 05:43:58 AM
Drew,
I've been thinking of this setup since you posted this.
It is a two piece Davis rod. It has some really nice rollers on it and breaks down to about 4'.
This rod is several years old. Aftco filed a lawsuit for infringement for these rollers, so they don't make them like this anymore.
I caught my first shark on this rod. A 6 ' spinner.
130 to 160lb rated rod with a 12/0.
You could tuck this under the seat for a great car kit. ;)

There you go . . . Perfect setup for a little " Pocket Sharkin' " . . . Just snag a " Road Kill " for bait and you're good to go !

Sorry, I couldn't resist . . . LOL !

Tight Lines !

Gfish

More pics. I'mna go tomorrow, here's the yak n' rack. The rod-holder rides on the side on top a the pipes, when I got it attached.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

FatTuna

I buy all my roof rack pieces on CL or Ebay used for cheap. I set mine up with the cradle and rollers because I have a truck. Pic of my setup at lake Champlain.

biggiesmalls

Quote from: Cor on August 10, 2017, 05:36:03 AM
I have a small van that has permanent fishing stuff in it.   Depending what time of the year I change the type of fish I catch and accordingly the type of tackle.
I am a bit embarrassed to post a picture because it is usually a big mess.  :-[ :-[ :-[
Some of the stuff that I permanently have in the van is:-
Spare rod and reel & tackle for distance casting.
fish box.
Spare fishing clothes and rain gear.
5 lit drinking water.
Spare line and a huge assortment of lures, hooks and sinkers in Winter.
Rucksack and two rods that I actually use.

I am the only one that uses this vehicle and because I fish so much and often at a whim (when the wind eases a bit) am always ready to go.

The contents annoys my wife but I feel blessed that I have this small cheap to run vehicle always at the ready!
This is something I would love to do, I don't know if I can fit all of this in a Camry but I'll definitely be trying. I do love the idea of always being ready to go - so if I see a new body of water or a new spot, I can just pull over and try it out instead of (maybe) remembering where it is.

Quote from: ez2cdave on August 11, 2017, 01:26:48 AM
Replace the Driver's Seat with a Fighting Chair . . . LOL !
Hey, don't give me any crazy ideas! If I had a truck you bet there'd be a mount for a fighting chair on the back.

Quote from: wailua boy on August 11, 2017, 03:45:53 AM
I always keep a small tackle box stashed in vehicle. Its come in handy on a few fishing trips when supplies run low or someone forgets something, its always there. I like to keep an ultra lite spinning outfit stashed too.
This is probably what I'll do. I will probably have a medium rod in there, though.
What all do you keep in your tackle box?

Quote from: Shark Hunter on August 11, 2017, 05:43:58 AM
Drew,
I've been thinking of this setup since you posted this.
It is a two piece Davis rod. It has some really nice rollers on it and breaks down to about 4'.
This rod is several years old. Aftco filed a lawsuit for infringement for these rollers, so they don't make them like this anymore.
I caught my first shark on this rod. A 6 ' spinner.
130 to 160lb rated rod with a 12/0.
You could tuck this under the seat for a great car kit. ;)
That would be an AWESOME setup to keep in the car. Only problem is I've got to carry around the kayak, PFD, paddles, bolt cutters, tape measure, tail rope, claw weights, 30' traces, and 2+ lb stingrays with it ;)

Quote from: Gfish on August 11, 2017, 06:50:29 AM
Here's a couple a pics a my cartop rod carrier. It's about 5' 10", kinda heavy. I put foam rubber in the bottom cap before I glued it on and there's some in the screw-on cap for cushioning.
Gfish
Awesome, thank you very much for the pics. I might try and build one of these in the coming months, it'll go on the van for now and then on the Camry whenever I get it registered and everything.
How do you prefer to attach it to the car? I saw the mounting setup in your other post, do you just use like ratchet straps on it?
Drew

Quote from: CapeFish on August 11, 2017, 01:32:46 PM
you get those Thule cross bars and you can fit snow board racks and kayak holders to them. The snowboard holders work very well for rods. They are obscenely expensive though where I live. We get locally made stainless steel lockable fishing rod holders that work really well. You may see what happens that with more experience you will actually go fishing with less tackle and put fewer rods out at a time as you understand conditions more you can focus better and follow less of a "calling all pockets approach". It is, however, difficult if you live far from the coast and you want to try and cover all eventualities in the limited time you have on vacation.
I need to get a set of the cross bars for this car. We've got them on the van right now, all we do to get the kayaks up there is lay down two foam blocks, and stack them upside down on top. We use two ratchet straps to hold the kayaks together, and then four to hold them to the cross bars. They go through the handles of both kayaks, and loop back around the cross bars. Solid system that has carried two kayaks 300+ miles at a time before.
We used to have Thule racks, but we took about 45+ minutes to get each one up there. I'm 5'4" and the person helping me get them up there was 5'6", so that may have had something to do with it. But the ratchet straps and foam costs like $25, which is probably the cost of one of the Thule mounts at least - and we need four of those.
I live right near the coast, I can be on the Intracoastal Waterway after about a mile and the beach after about 2. I can shark fish with a 15 minute boat ride or a 30-40 minute car ride, which I make all the time to see my girlfriend anyways.
I have slimmed down my bass fishing for starters - I used to want to have a Noah's Ark of tackle, had to have at least a few of everything just in case. But I went through, and I only fish a few of those things with any form of regularity. Now I'll be fishing one rod instead of 3, and I'm throwing six different lures (I think). I used to have over 50 different lures most of which didn't get thrown.
Panfish is another story though - I love getting out and trying all the new stuff, figuring out what works best. I can never thin out that herd, lol.

Gfish

Rod tube's attached to pipes with giant hose clamps, 'cause I wanna make it hard to steal the whole thing. Cor's set-up sounds ideal. A vehicle that sounds like it's mostly dedicated to fishing.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

festus

My wife found this used Daiwa Exec Spin/Fly Combo a few years ago online for $20 shipped.  It's a six piece 6-1/2' rod with a size 30 spinning reel and also an econo fly reel.  The handle is reversible.  Only used it twice, to be a six piece the combo is fairly balanced, at least the spinning function.  Haven't even spooled the fly reel.