DRAG KNOB

Started by pinoy101, August 09, 2017, 04:39:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinoy101

hello again it me alan from the east..

i posted a question on the other section... i was told to post it here .. thank you and sorry,

Im hoping that most of you could help me in locating or looking for a part.

recently, i got a hold of a SHIMANO STELLA 01 SW1000HG (01560) , in such its missing a DRAG KNOB.

im hoping that most of you guys and gals... can help me in getting a part

thank you..

alan

OOPPPS... SORRY ... ITS A    SW10000HG ...

redsetta

Welcome Alan,
I believe the part number you're looking for is RD15767, but might be also substituted with RD13170.
You can order direct from Shimano here:
Might be worth emailing them to confirm: fishsitefeedback@shimano.com
Or try a local shop like China Merchandise in Manila: Hope that's of some assistance.
Good luck!
Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

pinoy101

Quote from: redsetta on August 09, 2017, 08:39:00 PM
Welcome Alan,
I believe the part number you're looking for is RD15767, but might be also substituted with RD13170.
You can order direct from Shimano here:
Might be worth emailing them to confirm: fishsitefeedback@shimano.com
Or try a local shop like China Merchandise in Manila: Hope that's of some assistance.
Good luck!
Justin
hello Justin.. thanks for these info.. I appreciate much... im also in contact with Paul tie of china merchandise, he will try to ask shimano too...and Im hoping and prayin that there would be at least one more pc. .. I was told by another that, shimano stop production...

thanks again...

alan

oc1

A $75 replacement knob for a $700 to $1000 reel........ maybe.
-steve

mikeysm

I know its way overpriced but thats Shimano.  This is why I went back to penn reels. I cant afford to keep buying new reels every year. They dont make parts for the old reels.

Mike

pinoy101

Quote from: oc1 on August 17, 2017, 09:06:48 AM
A $75 replacement knob for a $700 to $1000 reel........ maybe.
-steve

hello S' Steve... thats  P3,750.- converted to P50.- pr. $1.- ...yup thats a small fortune here in the P.I.  :) not to mention shipping...
well... there is a local shop here in manila, China Merch by Mr. Paul Tie... and found one for me, and as per Paul.. its being shipped from singapore, lucky me.. its  lower than $75 ... and I think I can deal with that... considering the amount of the reel when i purchased it 2nd hand ... I think i'm happy with that....

thanks... and more fish for you...

alan

pinoy101

hello all.. I would like to report on the drag knob.

I finally got a part RD 15767 from china merchandising here in the Philippines, the knob did not fit out of the package... the hole were the shaft goes in was small ( maybe 1/100mm)... well I don't have a caliper... so I began tinkering without thinking !..  :'( I dismantled the knob and  tried to make the pressure disc hole bigger..  unfortunately i used a drill to make it bigger in order for the shaft to go in... it did go in !. But!... I miss that part were the pressure disc hole should be oblong... it became round... while i was turning the knob the clicker was not working! bummer! I made a bobo!

secondly, the pressure disc was not seated properly on the spool's bearing holder, the top part that had a rubber seal was already seated on the spool's inner lip, It look nice though...the gold lines complemented on the reel... and if I hand turn the spool, the knob was turning too, it was going with the spool,  i think there was a 2-3mm gap. so, i stopped  and really began thinking what would i do now... I mess up the drag knob!

so, I thought of going to a machinist and have one fabricated.... the man wanted my arm...so, i told him I will just come back.

so, I tried looking for a solution to build- up the pressure disc, i used two part epoxy steel to fill/build-up the hole that i made and increase the height of the pressure disc. once it dried up, i tried to drill a tiny hole first, and file/sand paper 800 grit to make a small rectangular hole. testing it every now and then on the main shaft, took me several times to have a good fit.( remove the old epoxy and made new mix, apply and wait overnite)

I finally had a good fit, and finished it with a coat of super glue( cyanocrylate) inner part and the top part to make the epoxy steel more solid.

it was to bad  i was not able to take photos on the process, because i was so engrossed to have the pc. done...

I have some photos now to show what i have done I hope you understand...

thank you ..

Zimbass

Well done Alan !!

Where there's a will, there's a way  ;)

Living in places where parts are impossible to find, or just prohibitive in price, you learn to make a plan. Seems that sometimes it's more rewarding this way !!!!!!!!

Cheers.

Terry.
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

Tiddlerbasher

In your original post you had a photo of your reel and it was fitted with a drag knob ???

pinoy101

Quote from: Zimbass on October 15, 2017, 08:49:03 AM
Well done Alan !!

Where there's a will, there's a way  ;)

Living in places where parts are impossible to find, or just prohibitive in price, you learn to make a plan. Seems that sometimes it's more rewarding this way !!!!!!!!

Cheers.

Terry.

thanks ... yes it was felt more of done assignment!.. thanks  again terry...

pinoy101

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on October 15, 2017, 10:31:04 AM
In your original post you had a photo of your reel and it was fitted with a drag knob ???

hello sir... yes that one had a knob... which I just copy paste from website... for reference... so sorry if I may have mis lead you.. the one i got locally here in the P.I. din't have a knob... 2nd or probably 3rd hand.

the replacement knob that I got are for 2013 models...

alan

Tiddlerbasher

pinoy101

hello everyone.. I would like to thank Justin,  Redsetta for giving information regarding the replacement knob...

all I need now is to fish the reel... question is... when?... will try to post some pics soon...

thanks again everyone and more fish for you all...  ;D

redsetta

No worries Alan - glad you're all set and ready to get a line in the water!
Will look forward to a report.
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer