Left Overs from an Old Tackle Shop

Started by foakes, August 10, 2017, 03:45:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Working on a few reels yesterday and today for friends.

Went out to the storage container to find some old parts.

Found the parts -- and also found in the bottom of a crate -- a few nice old reels.

Zebco 404 NIB, Shakes Sigma 040 NIB, Shakes Sigma 42/35 NIB with rosewood knob, and a couple of Cardinal C3's in poor boxes (because they were on the bottom of the bin).  One is new and unused -- stickers intact -- but had a few parts robbed off of it.  Second one is also in very good condition -- but also needs a few parts such as a bail spring, crank, screw or two, spool.

Many times, a shop would need a part for a good customer -- they would just take what they needed from a new inventory reel -- then hopefully replace it when they placed their next order.

Life continues on -- and not everything gets replaced.  I have a few reels like that.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Fred,
If you want to rid yourself of those 2 Cardinal 3s let me know how much it would take. I'll see if I can scavenger up enough parts to put them back in service, but the main & oscillation gears need to be present. Those are an extremely tough find, like impossible. Don't you hate it when people cannibalize decent reels? 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Shark Hunter

I gave a Sigma just like that to my Brother a few years back.
Nice reel.
Life is Good!

foakes

If you want the one on the left, Tommy, it is yours -- N/C.

Operates very well -- all interior casing parts are there.  Needs a bail spring, BS cover and screw, crank, bail screw, spool, and a drag knob and screw.  After your style of service -- it should be nearly, if not perfect.

If you had an extra duplicate reel to trade that I do not have in the Cardinals, and the parts I need for that 3 I am still trying to cobble together -- that would be a good trade.

Or whatever you think is fair -- I just want to have one of these -- don't need 2.

On another note -- the engineering and quality of these little C3's, types of materials, and symmetry of these reels, is above amazing.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

thorhammer

I sent a box of this stuff to Harry; he may have some of the bits left. I think I have a little remaining and will check.

J

Midway Tommy

Fred,

I really don't have anything to trade for your Cardinal 3 project, wish I did and could help but those parts are really evasive, to say the least.  :(

A new handle for the black C3 goes for $15 - $18 plus shipping, the drag knob & screw run another $5 or 6 and the side plate screws are a couple bucks each. I can re-fabricate a bail spring and make a cover out of light plastic or thin alum. I'm pretty sure I have an extra spool, maybe from a "green line", laying around somewhere, too. E-mail me a reasonable price considering the parts needed & we'll go from there.  :)

Edit: FYI, after looking at the photo of the inside it is also missing the anti-reverse lever, A/R screw and A/R spring/wire.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

foakes

Thanks, Tommy --

I get it...

We will set it on the back burner, for now --

Let me see what parts I can round up before we go any further -- I likely can get what's needed -- and probably have most of it anyway.

No big deal -- just reels and parts.

Thanks anyway for checking.

All the Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: foakes on August 10, 2017, 06:59:43 PM
Thanks, Tommy --

I get it...

We will set it on the back burner, for now --

Let me see what parts I can round up before we go any further -- I likely can get what's needed -- and probably have most of it anyway.

No big deal -- just reels and parts.

Thanks anyway for checking.

All the Best,

Fred

Works for me, Fred. Replacement parts to get it up going again, if a guy has to buy them, will cost about as much, or more, than a complete reel in similar physical condition. Let me know down the line if you can't round up all the parts and want to part with it. 

Tommy D (ORCA), NE