Aftco Rollers Required

Started by Donnyboat, August 13, 2017, 04:33:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnyboat

I am repairing a rod, Shakespeare Seamaster NC1405, Lange 1.8 metre Aktion B 300. I require 2 rollers for the guide next to the rod tip. I have two photos one of the rod tip and guide and the other with the dimensions of the rollers required. I am after 2 complete rollers including centre bush and screws. If anyone can help me, it would be much appreciated. cheers Don.
][url=http://alantani.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=20860][/url]
Don, or donnyboat

Donnyboat

Sorry I was a bit abrupt, first time at posting photos Alantani Site, hope everyone is keeping well...cheers Don
Don, or donnyboat

mhc

Hi Don, I don't have any roller rods aside from a couple with roller tips. I had a bit of a search on ebay, thinking you might be able to find a similar guide to get the rollers out of but couldn't find anything that looks like your guide. I also tried looking around the rod section here without luck. Hopefully one of the rod gurus on here will have some ideas.
Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Swami805

You might try posting on rodbuilding.org. Nice bunch of fellas there.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Donnyboat

Okay thanks Swami, I have taken the rollers out of a few tips, they are to narrow, thanks Mike, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

conchydong

That looks like an old Mildrum guide to me. Maybe the Aftco would fit, maybe not, unless you modified it. You might be able to do a search for a used Mildrum stripper guide and salvage the rollers from it.

oc1

The tip top may be Aftco.  The first running guide looks sort of like an Allen guide but different.  I don't think it is Aftco, or Allen or Mildrum or anything that you commonly see.  Since you have the parts, you could just polish them up and use again.
-steve

Donnyboat

Good thanks men, I am missing, one complete roller, also one screw short on the roller I have the dimencion from, I may have to strip it, and buy a new set althought it gets a bit costly if I do that, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

conchydong

I may be wrong but I still think that Mildrum made a guide at one time with a ceramic sideplate to absorb heat. Is your white sideplate ceramic or metal? Whatever it is it may be cheaper to re-rap the whole rod with newer guides.

Donnyboat

Tanks Cronchydong, the side frames are metal, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

oc1

Oh, I see now.  It's a double roller. But, it may not need to be double right up there by the tip.  The line will never touch the top roller, will it?  The MacGyver fix would be to put the roller you have on the bottom.  If that size machine screw isn't available, you could get a longer screw with a smaller diameter and run it all the way through the bushing and side plates with a nut on the other side.  Sorry, you probably want something nice instead.
-steve

Whit

The tip top may be AFTCO, but I doubt the running guides are Mildrum, AFTCO or anything else we are familiar with in North America.  If it were me (and its not), since the rollers are frozen,  I would strip the rod and start over.  MIldrums are no longer made, so of the manufacturers out there, the only one for which you can reliably get parts are the AFTCO's.

Depending on the purpose to which you put this rod, I would also consider ring guides.  Plenty of options out there, and very affordable.