This arrived from Thailand today - Poseidon 150

Started by JRD, November 24, 2016, 12:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD

I can't justify spending the $400 on a valiant but I wanted a small dual drag reel so I went looking. There was one tutorial about Poseidon reels here and a few post on the New Zealand boards.  I decided to take a flyer on the small 150r. I called my brother-in-law who runs a dive operation in Thailand and he put me in touch with a dealer and 10 days later the reel is in my mailbox.  The quality as.expected for a $189 dual drag, dry screws,  reel seat and parts of the internals.  Plastic clicker spring  and cheap cast pawl.  Some internals were roughly finished but.  Dual carbon greased drags and looks like titanium drag plates.  Bearings packed well and plenty of them.  Supposed to hold 300 yards of 40lb spectra and max drag of 12kg.  We will see.

One strange and.potentially weak spot is the spool shaft to pinion interface which is a tiny gear keyed to the spool shaft and meshing with small teeth inside the pinion gear.  Think of the small level wind gear on a Calcutta 50.  Time will tell.  Externally decent finish, great Eva knob and a rod clamp.  I will update as it gets some fish on it.

JRD

More photos

handi2

That looks nice!!

I have serviced the Valient reels and this looks mighty close.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Bill B

Looks well built and as you stated time and fish will tell....looks cool too.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

boon

You may have already read my piece on these reels on fishing.net.nz - IMO unless you have a very good reason for needing it, pull the clicker tongue out and throw it away, I've heard of a couple that have broken off and jammed the reel up. The review sample I had in pieces had been fished a handful of times and the tongue was already cracked.

Also be careful with the drag cam. Other than that they are nice little reels, that interface you mentioned between the drive plate and the pinion gear seemed ok to me, I managed something like 9kg of drag from the one I had.

Oh one thing to check is the smoothness of the drag at lower pressures, the one I had was rather lumpy, may have needed the drag plates lapped?

JRD

Yes sir I did read what you posted, thank you.  There isn't much info on the reel out there and it seemed worth a shot.

I noticed the little shudder in drags to start.  I pulled 50 yards or so of drag to start and during the pre service noticed I had some carbon dust / shavings in there.  The quality of the CF seemed less than the HT100 or Smooth drag washers, at least to my untrained fingers.  After that I cleaned the washers with a little Cals on a tooth brush, It was almost like cleaning dartanium drags.  Then wiped of with a clean paper towel and regreased.  The shudder was cured.

I don't use the clicker, really no need on a reel that size so I was just gonna leave the assembly there to plug the hole in the side plate.

I'm gonna fish it this weekend and will see if I can give it a decent test.

steelfish

nice write up amigo

I really appreciate when someone goes for the non-brand products to use them and test them, not everyone can afford to buy $300-$400 dollar reels and while a used $100 dll reel could do the job its always nice to have  brand new toy from the box and use it, depending on the usage and care it can last many years.

The Baja Guy

Goby

Hi JRD any updates on the Poseiden? Just ordered one and should arrive in the next few days. "She who must be obeyed" bought it me as a Father's Day present. Apart from the clicker any other advice? It will be going on a PE3 jigging master and spooled with tasline that breaks at 28lb, so only looking for 10lb drag through the rod. As I like lefties my choices are limited and, as like you can't justify an Accurate (AUD600 vs 250 delivered) for playing in the shallows.

Cheers,

Howard
Fishing, motorbikes, family, friends, beer and bourbon, but not necessarily in that order!

JRD

Quote from: Goby on August 19, 2017, 12:22:08 PM
Hi JRD any updates on the Poseiden?

Howard,

It's just back together after post fish trip with multiple yellow tail in the 20-25 lb range with a few Dorado mixed.  If I understand right our yellow tail are similar to your kingfish Fast, brutal and pull hard. Mine is now filled with 300 meters of 8 strand 50lb test spectra an a short top shot of 40lb Mono.

After tear down everything was still in fantastic shape, drags and discs were great, bearings still smooth and no issues - except - the o-ring on the drag cam adjuster deteriorated and fell apart.  $00.50 at my local home improvement store fixed that.

I'm more than happy.  I still recommend a tear down and full greasing, clean the drags and grease with Cal's then unsheild the spool bearings, clean and lube with your choice.  I use Speed X now.  For all other bearings I repacked with Penn grease, the two ARBs we're cleaned and lubed with Corrosion X.

Enjoy it!

Donnyboat

Don, or donnyboat

Goby

Sounds great and will do as you said regarding strip and grease and unshield (is that a word?) the spool bearings. At AU$250 vs AU$650 for a valiant seems like great value and I can live without a clicker.
Yes, yellow tail are kingies. The combo will be used for them, sambos (in picture 26+kg on PE2 micro jig in 10metres, she swam off I needed a long rest!), silver trevally and pink snapper.

Again thanks for the info, if it's as good as you say may have to order another!

Cheers,

Howard
Fishing, motorbikes, family, friends, beer and bourbon, but not necessarily in that order!