Everol special 2 9/0 sticky drag

Started by Chuki, August 11, 2017, 09:09:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuki

Hello everybody,
I've recently bought 2everols 14/0 cairns and 9/0 special2(pics in http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=18179.90
I managed to disassemble and relube both reels with the help of tutorial - many thanks redsetta!
Both reels are in excellent condition inside and 14/0 has caught 3 bft ranging from 100- 190 pounds - extra smooth drag and precise drag scale!
But I have a problem with 9/0 - before rebuild drag was extremly sticky and useless, after rebuild and cleaning of drag plates with brake cleaner situation got much better, but there is some stickiness left which is a problem when fishing light leaders and heavy drag.
Drag plates on 9/0 look like new with plenty of meat - but the surface is smooth and glazed opposed to 14/0 whose drag plates seem much rougher surface...
Question is should I sand 9/0 drag disc to roughen the surface and see if that would cure sticky drag. If it is ok what grit I should use? Also should I leave them dry because they are made from clutch material.
I know that carbon fiber replacement plates are avalible but that would be my last resort sinceI'm convinced that original old style plates can perform flawlessly like on 14/0.

Thanks!

Shark Hunter

If the drag discs are glazed over, they are done.
Once you lose that original texture, you can't get it back.
Your 9/0 looks to be from the seventies with the red drag scale.
I think it is time for a replacement,
Keith redid a 9/0 just like yours last year. He replaced the discs.
Paolo is your man.
Life is Good!

Robert Janssen

What makes you say that?

Just sand it a little; the glaze will easily be removed. A medium grit will be fine. Do take precautions to maintain flatness and truth of the disc. Use dry. And clean up the metal opposing disc with some Scothbrite or similar and maybe some solvent.

Shark Hunter

That is just what I would do Doc.
Drag discs are made to be replaced.
Those reels are older models and I would want to make sure I have carbon fiber discs.
To each his own.
Life is Good!

handi2

The replacement drag set will come with new plates, springs, and carbon bonded to the drag plates. It makes a huge difference. Not a slight difference, a huge difference.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Chuki

Thnks for your answers, I know that replacement carbon drag is better, but I want to try fixing the old plates since there is plenty of meat left and I saw that these old drag discs can perform flawless based on experience with 14/0
. If sanding doesn't work I'll order new drag, but this is free and it gives me excuse to open the reel one more time ;D.
I'll take some pics and let you know how it worked out.
I fell in love with these reels and it is special feeling to fish a reel almost 50 years old and see that it can still hold its own against modern reels. Drag scale is great feature especially for my kind of fishing.

Cheers
Ante

Chuki

Ok, I tore the reel down completly, cleaned&greased. I've sanded the drag disc(it wasn'glazed), filed off the burrs from stainless plates, cleaned everything with brake cleaner and put it back together.
Things are definetly better but there is a bit of start up stickiness left - not too bad but still... 😞
I'll fish it like this for now, but since the reel is great shape overall, I'll invest in CF drag(hope that it is not too expensive)