115L Build question.

Started by SearedTuna, October 04, 2021, 05:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RowdyW

Quote from: SearedTuna on October 04, 2021, 11:36:36 PM
Quote from: Swami805 on October 04, 2021, 11:27:50 PM
Mine are loose too, not a great fit. I have them turned upside down, I don't use them,just plugging the hole
Chrome rings won't fit and no use for them with Tom's plates
This is the pic for my last question, but both examples look like the frame is reversed, or I have mine wrong....?
Straight crossbar is the front. The dropped center bar is in the rear. That's for thumbing the spool.

SearedTuna

Quote from: RowdyW on October 05, 2021, 12:10:35 AM
Quote from: SearedTuna on October 04, 2021, 11:36:36 PM
Quote from: Swami805 on October 04, 2021, 11:27:50 PM
Mine are loose too, not a great fit. I have them turned upside down, I don't use them,just plugging the hole
Chrome rings won't fit and no use for them with Tom's plates
This is the pic for my last question, but both examples look like the frame is reversed, or I have mine wrong....?
Straight crossbar is the front. The dropped centre bar is in the rear. That's for thumbing the spool.
I gotta use my left hand for spool pressure. No thumbing a 9/0 here with these fish ;D
I like the clearance for the line in front, so will try it this way and see how it works. Don"t want to take it apart again before grabbing a few mean greenies first!!

SearedTuna

It is a beauty considering Tom's work is top notch!!

Not sure how to flip pictures??

Needs a better drag star, but not wanting to change the gear sleeve out to the PC to be able to use their star.
Anyone know where I can get something befitting Tom's work??

RowdyW

It looks like you have 1 thick & 2 thin wavy washers under the star. It should be 1 thick under the star & 1 thin on the outside of the star. Possibly you need one more keyed washer on top of the drag stack.

Sharkb8

Just a suggestion you could try cutting a shim from a plastic milk bottle to stop your lugs from rattling

Kim

SearedTuna

Quote from: RowdyW on October 05, 2021, 06:30:58 AM
It looks like you have 1 thick & 2 thin wavy washers under the star. It should be 1 thick under the star & 1 thin on the outside of the star. Possibly you need one more keyed washer on top of the drag stack.
I need to recheck the drag configuration to be sure I can get another keyed washer in there. If not then another regular washer on top of the stack.
I'm figuring this out as I go and so much lead time to get parts here! Have to fake it till I make it, but I know it will fish right now.

Thanks to everyone for help and advise as always!!!

The Ohana is strong here!!!

thorhammer

Quote from: Sharkb8 on October 05, 2021, 09:07:28 AM
Just a suggestion you could try cutting a shim from a plastic milk bottle to stop your lugs from rattling

Kim

Great idea- pack some grease around it as well. Note, the 115 was designed in the 1930's to capabilty around the stock bridge sleeeve and gears. There likely isn't a mahi or hoo swimming that can break a 9/0 in stock form, especially with greased carbon drags. One of Our members caught a black marlin on a stock model a couple months ago, and ever what a great fighter mahi are, they can never be said to rival 300 lb black marlin. You have upped the ante considerably past this with Tom's parts- it is likely you have a steel main, so to realize the full potential of that build an SS sleeve and dog is the way to go when you're already that far into the finest 9/0 star drags built. My 0.02.

John

SearedTuna

Quote from: thorhammer on October 05, 2021, 11:18:19 AM
Quote from: Sharkb8 on October 05, 2021, 09:07:28 AM

Kim

Great idea- pack some grease around it as well. Note, the 115 was designed in the 1930's to capabilty around the stock bridge sleeeve and gears. There likely isn't a mahi or hoo swimming that can break a 9/0 in stock form, especially with greased carbon drags. One of Our members caught a black marlin on a stock model a couple months ago, and ever what a great fighter mahi are, they can never be said to rival 300 lb black marlin. You have upped the ante considerably past this with Tom's parts- it is likely you have a steel main, so to realize the full potential of that build an SS sleeve and dog is the way to go when you're already that far into the finest 9/0 star drags built. My 0.02.

That was me ;D ;)

SearedTuna

That was me that got the Marlin.

I'm just building up some stuff!
A buddy gave me a box of old 9/0 reels and I have two that I am building up with CC goodies cause I just luv me a 9/0 reel to begin with!

Those are purdy btw!!! The Tib handles really set them off too!

I have a stainless gear sleeve and double dogs for this and my other CC plates.

I am working on my 9th 9/0 this month so just trying to get my customs dialed in.
The 9/0 I caught the Marlin on is catching Wahoo like crazy right now, so not gonna retire it until I get a couple other reels dialed in.

Pics after this weekend of fishing to follow for you all!!

thorhammer

Ah, noted!!! And very well done on the Black! Keep the pics coming! 

jurelometer

Quote from: SearedTuna on October 05, 2021, 12:53:09 AM

Needs a better drag star, but not wanting to change the gear sleeve out to the PC to be able to use their star.

Not sure what you mean by better.  There are prettier aftermarket stars out ther that might look better with the custom sideplstes.  In terms of function, the star does two things:  creates clamping pressure on he drag stack, and works as a heat sink to help draw heat from the drag stack.

The ideal star for the latter has to be a material that conducts heat well   (aluminum, brass), has a large surface area, and a narrow cross section.  The stock stars do a pretty good job on the latter.   

The aftermarket stars can be more ergonomic for adjusting.  Nothing wrong with building a really nice looking reel, but it seems unlikely that changing the star will do much possitive in terms of performance, unless the stock star cannot handle the clamping load you are now using, which seems unlikely.

-J

thorhammer

Everyone should have a friend with a box of unwanted 9/0, lol! Thanks for the compliment- I realy like these reels and need to get off my can and do a Cortez family shot of all of them. I think there's 24 now but lost count of Jiggy's and 4/0.

SearedTuna

Quote from: jurelometer on October 05, 2021, 07:07:03 PM
Quote from: SearedTuna on October 05, 2021, 12:53:09 AM

Not sure what you mean by better.  There are prettier aftermarket stars out ther that might look better with the custom sideplstes.  In terms of function, the star does two things:  creates clamping pressure on he drag stack, and works as a heat sink to help draw heat from the drag stack.

Just wanting ones that fit the aesthetics of the build. I suppose I could use this one as I planned, but want to keep it in good shape as they are hard to find.

The ideal star for the latter has to be a material that conducts heat well   (aluminum, brass), has a large surface area, and a narrow cross section.  The stock stars do a pretty good job on the latter.   

The aftermarket stars can be more ergonomic for adjusting.  Nothing wrong with building a really nice looking reel, but it seems unlikely that changing the star will do much possitive in terms of performance, unless the stock star cannot handle the clamping load you are now using, which seems unlikely.

-J