Virginia Beach/NC trip to test/demonstrate the 12' Black Hole Surf II Heavy rod

Started by ksong, August 12, 2017, 12:23:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ksong

I was asked to come down to Sneads Ferry, NC to demonstrate our new 12' Black Hole Cape Cod Surf II rod by NC anglers who saw video of casting 700' with the rod by MIke Basnite.
I left Thursday evening to fish grouper out of Sneads Ferry on Fri.
Grouper fishing was slow though I lost a few big one as I couldn't stop them even I used 30 lb drag on my JM PE8 reel filled with 80 lb JB Hollow and 150 lb leader line.
Then I hooked up a mysterious monster fish. It fought like 200 plus lb bluefin by taking lots of line on 30 lb drag. I was using light 6'3" Black Hole Cape Cod Slow Pitch rod/ JM PE8 reel.  After 30 minutes fight, the 150 lb leader line got broken.  I could have fought another one hour as the fish was green and at least 200 yards of line was out.
It can not be a tuna, but I suspect it could be several hundreds shark.
Amazingly the light Slow Pitch rod handled it beautifully on 30 lb drag.

I met a few anglers at the dock after fishing. They were excited to see new 12' rod and they said there will be at least a dozen anglers to come to check the rod at Demo Day today.

Benni3

If you go up to morehead city thay have a head boat the Stacy 5 ,,,,you need live bait fish  :D are you going to hit hatteras or nags head ? fish the Diamond shoals

ksong

Quote from: Benni3 on August 12, 2017, 01:11:53 PM
If you go up to morehead city thay have a head boat the Stacy 5 ,,,,you need live bait fish  :D are you going to hit hatteras or nags head ? fish the Diamond shoals
I fished on the Stacy long time ago. 
I visited Little Island Pier in Virginia Beach where many regulars cast long rods.
They normally use 13' rods, but all of them were impressed with the 12' Black Hole Surf II Heavy rods.
They cast with 8 oz and 10 oz, some said the 10 oz is the sweat spot for the rod.
I am tired after driving long hours, but I am happy with the responses of anglers who checked the rod.

Benni3