Halibut fishing with GSTOURS (Gary) in Alaska Aug. 1-8, 2017

Started by El Pescador, August 12, 2017, 03:28:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Yes Wayne, I am enjoying this very much and I'm sure so is everyone else. Your hard work putting it all together is very much appreciated.
You're the man, when it comes to telling a story and posting pics, maybe Alan could promote you to Sensei status ;)...good job!

Gary lives in Paradise, it's really beautiful up there.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Marc Fong

Great post. I'm in the early stages of planning a return trip to Prince of Wales Island and this adds fuel to my burning desire. Good stuff!

Steve-O

And I am in the very last stages of planning my 21st trip to Alaska.

One trip was to the very waters where Dominick was fishing...with Pleasant Island in view...and all around Icy Straits in general for a solid week. 14 hours plus a day of fishing and being on the water.

The other 20 trips have been to Prince of Wales Island, my home away from home.

Great play by play keep 'em coming!

conchydong

Awesome report. this type of fishing is so different from where I come from but some similarities also.
Love it!

Rancanfish

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

whalebreath

I'm surprised fish can be transported without at least some skin attached so it can be ID'ed.

David Hall

What a great fishing report to come home to, been gone for the whole weekend while this thread grew.
What a great trip thanks for sharing.

troutman561

Very cool pics and narrative! Fishing and hunting ducks in Alaska is on my bucket list.

Steve-O

Quote from: troutman561 on August 14, 2017, 10:49:55 AM
Very cool pics and narrative! Fishing and hunting ducks in Alaska is on my bucket list.

Do it!

My first AK was in Sept. 2000....now 20 trips are under my belt and the only bucket list fishing trip is the one in my avatar pic. Alligator Gar down in Texas. That was 6 years back now. Time flies...get that bucket list going while you're young enough to.

El Pescador

Quote from: troutman561 on August 14, 2017, 10:49:55 AM
... Fishing and hunting ducks in Alaska is on my bucket list.

troutman561!

I AGREE with Steve-O!  If it ain't on your calendar, you won't go.

Get there sooner than later, you might enjoy the trip & then want to go more times in the future.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

akfish

Fish Transport: In Alaska it is legal to clean halibut while on the water but you must keep the four filets whole and with skin on. Once you are off the water, you can remove the skin, cutup the filets, and vacuum pack. King and coho salmon, rockfish and ling cod can be gutted and gilled on the water but must be kept whole until arriving at your home port. Pink and chum salmon can be cut up and used for bait while on the water.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

whalebreath

Quote from: akfish on August 14, 2017, 02:23:18 PM
Fish Transport: In Alaska it is legal to clean halibut while on the water but you must keep the four filets whole and with skin on. Once you are off the water, you can remove the skin, cutup the filets, and vacuum pack...
Roger that-Thanks for the intel.

El Pescador

You Kids ready for another round???  Here we go :o

The TANK ready for the day's fishing.

We also used a ProReel Yellowtail Special - Very smooth drag as well.  IT looked to be a bit narrower than a Narrow Penn 4/0 - can anyone confirm that???

Gary ONLY uses narrowed Penn 4/0 for his fishing needs - Nothing bigger or smaller.

Gary also makes his own reel crank handles. HE MADE THEM!!!    I can barely use a 2 part epoxy successfully!!!!

The man is just an excellent welder - For sure.

His handle length is about 4" to 4.25" center to center.

How about some more photos of the TANK????

The red handle, there is NO WAY to describe the depth and translucence. Just a plain beautiful handle.

Here is Gary on the TANK.

Again, more of the bait ready for use.

I should have taken notes!   Gary was always providing insight and experience to us.

AND then it happened, Dom's rod loaded up, he pulled the rod out of the holder, and was slammed downward against the rail, when the fish felt the line tighten.  BIG FISH.  Dom fought it for a short time, it went around the motor, Gary helped him getting past the screw, but no luck, line went limp.  Fish gone.  BUT then, my rod loaded up, and same experience, when the fish felt the line pressure, it took off on a LONG minute run, and slammed my rod against the rail. I just laid atop the rod trying to not have it go overboard.  Smooth drag, but lots of drag pressure.

15 minute battle, 3 times at the boat before we could take this photo!!!

75 inches long, estimated weight - 225 lbs.  An #### kicker for sure.

We all agreed to ONLY keep fish smaller than 70 lbs. - and today we caught and kept 5 fish.  This one day was enough for Dom and I to take home all the fish we could carry in ice chests.

We are filling up with BUTTS!   Gary loves to sing the song, "I love BIG BUTTS!!!!"

Gary and Dom doing what we all love to do.

AND what a weather day it was!  Almost got a sun burn in SE Alaska!!!  Keta and Steve-O is that normal 8)

BTW, that is Mt. Fairweather, 15,325' tall, and it was 53 miles from us, and NOT A CLOUD IN THE SKY!!!!

At the Dock, ready to load into Gary's Red truck.

Pull Harder Old Man!!! WE've got fish to process!!!

Key to staying young in this game, let the old guys carry the larger fish!!!!

Gary, what did this one weigh???  55 lbs.????

At the fish cutting station, processing the days catch.

Here's to looking at you KID!

Teach a Man to fish, he eats for the day.

Spend time with guys who like to fish, and you end up enjoying a beer together!!!!

We have LOTS more photos to share, stay tuned.

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Bill B

Good time s and great fish.....but is someone gonna put a hurt on the Tank?  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Marc Fong

Wow. Fantastic adventure. Keep those pictures coming, please.