Halibut fishing with GSTOURS (Gary) in Alaska Aug. 1-8, 2017

Started by El Pescador, August 12, 2017, 03:28:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Hall

Dominick

David Gary posted some photos here.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=22534.0;topicseen  I posted a couple videos at that link.  It was difficult trying to figure out where it should go.  I don't want to duplicate Gary's videos although I have copies that Mary Jo downloaded on a thumb drive for us.  The videos are raw footage and I expect Gary wants to edit them.  Wait until you see the video of... well you'll see.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Dominick

Here's a raw video of a Gary, Wayne, and Dominick butt.  This video was taken on our last day of fishing.  The wind came up and the current was screaming.  We were having a hard time keeping the bait presentation on the bottom.  Gary told us to bring our lines in for a move to a less windy spot.  Well Gary grabs his rod to give it a jerk to see if the weight is holding the bottom.  As he picked up the rod a giant butt (you'll see) swallowed the bait.  The boat was pitching pretty good by that time and we were all a little off balance.  I was watching Gary as he grabbed the rod out of the rod holder and started to lift a giant butt pulled him off balance and took him to the rail.  He started to reel to make sure the fish was hooked then he shouted for me to take the fish.  After "no you take it" back and forth he handed off the rod to me and went to get his GoPro.  The video starts with me working the fish.  It might look a little confusing at first because once Gary his GoPro going he starts putting on his Francis Coppola act.  :D  So you will see me answering him and moving for the camera.  In the mean time I had to keep the pressure on the fish.  Enjoy.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

David Hall

Absolutely incredible,  I could feel the adrenaline pumping just watching that.  Wow!!!!!!!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tightlines667

That was pretty darned cool.  I love the expression on Dominick's face.  That looked like a darned nice fish.  Well done guys!
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

Holy Cow! :o
Dominick, You are the Man!
I think that was the ultimate test of the Tank.
That is what Dreams are made of right there.
You brought him all the way to the surface, then game on!
Pissed off Giant Butt!
I bet you are still recovering from that Leviathan.
The Ultimate Butt, Tamed. ;)
Great job Wayne on the second run.
That was so cool.
You guys are my new Hero's!
Life is Good!

steelfish

The Baja Guy

CapeFish

Congratulations and thanks for a fantastic report, absolutely amazing fishing, those things have serious bucket mouths!

Dominick

Quote from: Shark Hunter on August 18, 2017, 06:19:21 AM
Holy Cow! :o
Dominick, You are the Man!
I think that was the ultimate test of the Tank.
That is what Dreams are made of right there.
You brought him all the way to the surface, then game on!
Pissed off Giant Butt!
I bet you are still recovering from that Leviathan.
The Ultimate Butt, Tamed. ;)
Great job Wayne on the second run.
That was so cool.
You guys are my new Hero's!

Daron thanks for the compliments.  The experience was awesome.  When that fish took off and went under the boat it was ripping line through a tight drag.  The key is to let those big fish run and keep the pressure on.  Of course the butt man was right there making drag adjustments and giving instructions.  They don't call him the Butt Man for nothing.  I am passing on the hero status to Gary.  It is well deserved.  Dominick

johndtuttle

Dominick

Well if you saw the video of Gary giving a filet lesson remember he stuck his finger in the filet and said "here's a bullet hole."  That was a dig at me for my harpooning of that halibut.  I uploaded a bunch of Gary's video and forgot that he videoed me harpooning the fish.  The funny thing was that I hit the fish and hit its backbone, and the harpoon bounced off (tough suckers those butts).  Gary told me that "you have to drive the harpoon, not pet it."  This video is when I did it right.  Dominick

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Steve-O

FatTuna

Awesome video. I did a trip up there once a long time ago. I've been itching to go back ever since.