Halibut fishing with GSTOURS (Gary) in Alaska Aug. 1-8, 2017

Started by El Pescador, August 12, 2017, 03:28:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RowdyW

[/quote]

Dom, can I ask you what star drag is that.
I hate the stocker cuz they are too thin, Baja Special star drag is pretty nice as well as other models
I didnt knew there was a wider star drag for out beloved 113h
[/quote]Alex, they were made special for Sal by Three se7ens. I contacted him but he said it is too expensive to produce. I don't see why they can't be produced with thicker material & counter bored in the back to fit the sleeve. They wouldn't need to be tapered in the backside.            Rudy     

steelfish

Quote from: RowdyW on October 16, 2017, 10:34:04 PM
Alex, they were made special for Sal by Three se7ens. I contacted him but he said it is too expensive to produce. I don't see why they can't be produced with thicker material & counter bored in the back to fit the sleeve. They wouldn't need to be tapered in the backside.            Rudy     

well, got the answer by Dom and he practically told me the same, lets hope Adam took the idea again with a plan to make it not too expensive for the rest of the normal mortals.

too many good projects still on the R&D with Alan, Tom, Adam, Lee.. I better start to skip and save the money of breakfast tacos to dont miss any of those projects when ready.
The Baja Guy

El Pescador

God Bless Gary (gstours) in Gustavus, AK!!!!    You SIR are ONE live wire!!!!

Received this from him yesterday, during a busy part of my day, Gary gently reminded me of the finer things in life - Fishing with buddies who like to go fishing!!!!

and his commentary follows!

The Lawyer tells the Broker how it is.. "So What you sain Dommie;  I'm listening butt got my hands full at the moment!!!!   What chew mean we're almost outta bait?😵"

Gary you are kill'n me man!!!!!

Fishing here in SE Alaska during the rainy season - currently, we are in between rain squalls - NOT ;D

Loaded up on yet another hard fighting halibut from Glacier Bay National Park waters.  Private vessel permit fishing only.

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

gstours

Butt seriously Folks; ;)   The drag star might not be that important?  Maybe its just a way to slip in a couple fishin pictures or two?
    Huh??  Everyone has preferences right?   I would never think of driving to work without mag wheels on my pickup truck!

The custom parts we now have are waay better than what our fathers had,  As my daughter says, "times are changing dad,  you got to get with it?"    The above photo is a good example of what worked for me.   Its my first Pro Gear build.   Ive got another in the works.

David Hall

Just the thought of hooking into big butts gets me worked up.
After watching all of Gary's videos, I'm beginning to get the idea that catching them is a lot of work.

gstours

After posting the above I got the feeling that I was possibly pushing biased reels and their parts.  A boat is just a fishing platform.  A reel is just something to hold the fishing line. ;)   The times you have left to go fishing have a limit.   Play your best cards if you want to win.
  Here is a picture of a Hotrodded reel  The Tank,  you know the now famous one Sal gave Dommie,    that assured confidence Yet I had my fingers crossed from the get go! :P

Dominick

It ain't easy fishing in that current.  Check out the rooster tail with the rod tip in the water.  That butt wasn't waiting around.  It was fun.  I can't thank Gary enough for a great time.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

gstours

Ok,  Now that I,ve got a spare minuit or two  ,,  And got kicked out of the kitchen for the second time?.. ;)..I,ll post another clip from this fun fishing trip...... I had to get advice from Wayne as how to rotate the "film" in parts.....   3 people were manning the little GoPro at different times.....It even got set down for a few minuits a couple of times.   Butt its tamed down and you'd never know. ???

Happy Thanksgiving to All,    And Peace to the World,   Just for a Day

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

David Hall

Absolutely incredible looking conditions.  Great video Gary, thanks for sharing.  Made my morning.  Happy thanksgiving day.

Gman_WC

I enjoyed this thread so much that I had to go back and read the whole thing and watch the video's again.
I've been dreaming about fishing Alaska since I was a kid and it's on my bucket list for sure.
The whole story of your experience and fishing brotherhood with a local is amazing.
Sorry for the necro post. I just wanted to add my 2cents.

-gary

Walnut Creek, CA

gstours

Thanks for the kind words and questions,  as we are all there for sharing and helping others on this forum we are learning something every day.   That's why I,m here ;)
   When I elected to take these two city boys fishin I was pleasantly suprised that......  when thinking back on it,  should,nt have been.
Alan Tani and his moderators set the standard high enough to screen out the big rocks and this helps us all as unaware as we are.
I have some more unseen footage of this Halibut trip of 2017 that is getting edited .  Stay tuned. 

gstours

Here is one more blip of halibut fishing with Dom n Wayno of 2017 .   It was in a mislabled file and never before seen .   I,m using it for self taught instructional purposes,  after viewing it several times I got the impression I did not know what I was doing.  Maybe distracted?  Maybe playing Actor boy?  I saw lots of things in a short amount of time and would like to try this fish on another time.
   See what you think.  As we had caught some other large fish the law of averages got me.   Shoulda, coulda,might have,  dont ever all come to mind.    This was fun for sure so thats why i,m inviting you to watch.   The fish in the end broke the line by rubbing on the motor or bottom corner of the boat.   Butt thats what makes a good story, right?

gstours

I have to say the Tank worked well,  ;) Butt the things we cant control are the bites, wind, rain, and some of that stuff.  We were certainly lucky to get the chance to play with this large woman and get excited like we did.   That said, Thanks to all for being my friends.
   Here is another version of the Dommie Wayne Tank Alaska Test.    I can only hope to test it again sometime soon. 
  Best of health and luck to Sal especially from me and mary jo.    Tanks.

Alto Mare

Thank you Gary and Mary Jo for your good wishes.
It is very much appreciated.

Sal

...cool video ...
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.