Rainshadow Knife Jig Rod

Started by Jon Vadney, May 15, 2014, 06:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon Vadney

Here's an RCKJB503-300 I just finished up.  These are fantastic blanks for the money.  I used a 16M Fuji Lowrider for the stripping guide, Fuji MNSG's the rest of the way out.  Simple spiraled.

Ron Jones

The "diamond" wrap under the stripper is really cool.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Jon Vadney

Quote from: noyb72 on May 15, 2014, 08:10:13 PM
The "diamond" wrap under the stripper is really cool.
Ron

Thanks man. That's a technique called "Dragon scales" and was developed by a rod builder named Jim Trelikes.  The Phenix vertical jigging rod I have posted here has some dragon scales as well, it shows up better there w/ the silver thread.

Topshot

Is it a hard technique to learn??? It can't any harder then a tiger wrap lol
Many men fish all their lives without ever realizing that it is not the fish they are after.
Michael Baughman

Jon Vadney

Quote from: Topshot on May 15, 2014, 09:07:31 PM
Is it a hard technique to learn??? It can't any harder then a tiger wrap lol

Wrap a diamond pattern on the rod blank with whatever metallic thread the rod will be wrapped in, then just wrap over it and the pattern will come through. 

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/dragon-scales-presented-by-jim-trelikes.537518/

MFB

It's almost a shame to get these beauties wet ;D

Rgds

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

Ron Jones

You know, the more and more I look at wrapping tutorials the more I see tying large flies. My lathe is almost done and I can't wait to start playing.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

anglingarchitect

Jonnybravo

I cant wait to fish this rod!!

Dominick

John, what do you charge for a rod like this?  I do not own a spiral wrapped rod nor have I ever used one. What is the line rating for this rod?  Will it be able to handle 80lb braid which is what I have on the "Tank"?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Jon Vadney

Quote from: Dominick on May 20, 2014, 11:48:01 PM
John, what do you charge for a rod like this?  I do not own a spiral wrapped rod nor have I ever used one. What is the line rating for this rod?  Will it be able to handle 80lb braid which is what I have on the "Tank"?  Dominick

Hey Dominick, this one has about $160 in components and it would be right around $250 for me to wrap it like this one.  If you were fishing 80# braid, I'd go with the next step up in rod blanks as this one is only rated to 60#. There are also a lot of other reaaaaly nice blanks out there if you wanted to spend more (Phenix Titan, black hole, OTI, etc). 

Dominick

Quote from: Jon Vadney on May 21, 2014, 03:29:38 AM
Quote from: Dominick on May 20, 2014, 11:48:01 PM

Hey Dominick, this one has about $160 in components and it would be right around $250 for me to wrap it like this one.  If you were fishing 80# braid, I'd go with the next step up in rod blanks as this one is only rated to 60#. There are also a lot of other reaaaaly nice blanks out there if you wanted to spend more (Phenix Titan, black hole, OTI, etc). 
John thanks for the response.  I was just curious.  My days of spending that kind of money on rods is over. I am also getting tired of carrying my rods back and forth.  The rod holder is a pain.  I also sometimes get stuck for baggage overages when bringing fish back.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

steelfish

Jon,

I know the guides were placed according to an static test but by chance do you remember the distance of the 1st 3 transition guides ?

I did my musky rod pretty similar on the transition guides because of the medium action, just wanted to check how you placed yours because Im planning to get me a knife jig rod soon to build.

thanks in advance
The Baja Guy

Rivverrat

Whoa... I really like that a lot....Jeff