scored a nice International 16s

Started by steelfish, August 16, 2017, 01:51:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

well, this reel was offered to me few months ago at a good price, but I passed on it because the price was not a bargain and I have already few reels on that same line rating, but this guy came again with a better offer and also this time he throw a super Seeker 6460XH-G to the deal telling me that he has no use for that rod and reel so, you better grab them before I sell them cheaper somewhere else (he change all his gear for shimano talicas and terez rods, poor him), so I couldnt pass on the offer this time  ;D,  after all you can never have too many reels or rods, right ? ;D ;D  ;))

this are the reel and rod, reel is in pretty good shape, some deep nicks but thats it, I can live with them, corrosion is almost non existant or pretty light.
rod has more boat rash all over but not deep nicks or deep scratches so, its ok on my book, it still bends pretty nice and for the price its really a bargain, almost a free rod so I can deal with those marks with some light sanding and a new clear coat to give the rod a new life.

soooo, now please school me on this reel, I have read few info about it and seems like it was made to fish ifga 16lb test but can fish with 30lb/40lb easily,  I really dont use those lines locally, I normally use 60 or 80 mono leader for abrasion purposes and 80# braid for same reason, thats the configuration on my Baja special reel and fathom 40LD2.
on my Baja Special a fish 18# drag and with the fathom 15# on strike

what would be a safe drag setting for this Intl 16s on strike?
how easily you can damage your pinion bearing, as easy as with the Avets?
any home-made upgrade for this reel to add few more # to the stock drag? (with this I mean any upgrade that you guys can recommend without need to be sent to Cals)

The Baja Guy

alantani

100 pound braid, 80 pound topshot and 24 pounds of drag at strike!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

josa1

Yes, I had one of these reels, 16VSX, for a while and fished it with 80 pound Izor XXX with a three foot 90 pound floro leader, over 100 pound spectra.  Caught several 120-140 pound YFT on it.

I sold mine because I got the "wants" for another reel of the same class.  I will fish the new reel pretty much the same as above.

You've got a great outfit there, so service it and fish it, you will enjoy both activities a lot!

josa1

steelfish

Quote from: alantani on August 16, 2017, 03:17:36 AM
100 pound braid, 80 pound topshot and 24 pounds of drag at strike!

Quote from: josa1 on August 16, 2017, 02:15:50 PM
fished it with 80 pound Izor XXX with a three foot 90 pound floro leader, over 100 pound spectra.  Caught several 120-140 pound YFT on it.

wow, thanks Boss and Josa, that seems like a perfect spooling configuration for this waters, looks like I just got me my new trolling reel, now I feel 3x more exited than when I bought it

by the way, Josa, I just recently serviced a penn intl 50s so, I think pretty much its going to be the same just smaller parts and your rigth those are some reel that you enjoy opening them and service, no like some shimano reels that have tons of small parts and jumping springs

The Baja Guy

Dominick

Good things happen to good guys Alex.  Congratulations amigo.  Have fun and post pictures of some big fish.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

MarkT

Looks like it'll clean up nicely.  The Super Seeker 6460xh was a great deal!  If you can't get the drag you want you could send it to Cal's to be blueprinted.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

steelfish

Thanks Dom and Mark

Sending it to Cal's is an option for sure, we will see if its necessary
The Baja Guy

steelfish

Quote from: MarkT on August 18, 2017, 04:08:57 AM
 The Super Seeker 6460xh was a great deal! 

you know Mark, it was a great deal cuz the owner wasnt using it since many months ago, the rod is missing one of the rollers bearing and he didnt wanted to deal with that since he have many other rods.

so, I know will have to search for the exact roller guide or check if there is a "bearing kit" available, but if someone happens to have one of those bearing kit for the last roller guide (I dont know the size) or one of those black and gold rollers guide send me a PM with the price, I read on tackle direct that those are aftco rollers.

The Baja Guy

MarkT

I would think you could order a replacement roller and screws for that guide.  The guide number should be on the guide, and if nothing else, you could probably get one from AFTCO.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Tightlines667

Good luck with the service/setup.  Alan's numbers seem high to me for this little guy.  I was guesstimate the reel should do 12lbs strike (w/o affecting freespool), and 16lbs at full (w/o damaging the pinion).  You may be able to squeeze a bit more if you steeper the curve with messing around with Belleville config (maybe use the heavier VS washers).  I would think 16/20lbs would be tops.  It was designed to fish at 6/8lbs with 16lb mono after all. 

I haven't worked on one of these though, so Alan might be right.  Try ordering 3 thin (stock 16s) washers, and 2 heavy (16vS) washers and play around a bit.  You may also want a shim or 2.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

steelfish

@ Mark, I will do a search for the guide replacement thanks

@ John, where I can buy some shims of different sizes and thickness? are they available from stock penn parts?
The Baja Guy

alantani

Quote from: Tightlines666 on August 18, 2017, 06:31:16 PM
Good luck with the service/setup.  Alan's numbers seem high to me for this little guy. 

you know, you're absolutely right, they are high.  i was thinking about a 16vsx........   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

steelfish

You may be able to squeeze a bit more if you steeper the curve with messing around with Belleville config (maybe use the heavier VS washers).  I would think 16/20lbs would be tops.  It was designed to fish at 6/8lbs with 16lb mono after all. 

Quote from: alantani on August 18, 2017, 06:53:56 PM
Good luck with the service/setup.  Alan's numbers seem high to me for this little guy. 

you know, you're absolutely right, they are high.  i was thinking about a 16vsx........   :-\

ooh well, now Im back to my normal starting excitement (not the 3x, LOL)

anyway, I will aim to get at least 15# at strike playing with the benevilles and check how the pinion bearing last on that drag setting, that will be enough for the local sized YT and big cabrillas, might be under gunned for an angry big gulf grouper, so, it will be still a really good reel for trolling the northen waters of Sea of Cortez.
I always wanted to get one of those gold shiny international reels when I was starting fishing many years ago, so, this is it.

The Baja Guy

Tightlines667

Quote from: steelfish on August 18, 2017, 06:48:07 PM
@ Mark, I will do a search for the guide replacement thanks

@ John, where I can buy some shims of different sizes and thickness? are they available from stock penn parts?

I think these will suit your needs...

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/8A-TS5-2.aspx

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/18-20.aspx

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/18-12T.aspx

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/18-16VS.aspx

Not sure if the last 2 types of Belleville will work in your reel, but for a couple of extra bucks, I would order them and find out.

John

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

steelfish

cool. thanks amigo, i will order some of those asap

this surely its a long shot but, if there a way to change the shifter mechanism into a more modern style instead of the stock wayof "push and pull" whole handle assembly?
The Baja Guy