Penn 16 VSX Question

Started by TBlever, December 16, 2017, 11:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TBlever

I like the size of this reel, but was looking for a drag with greater range (a less steep curve than the VSX's aggressive curve) for trolling.  I looked at the schematics for the 16 VSX, VS and 30 VSW and it looks like I could change the clutch washers and/or their orientation from (()) to ()() in an effort to soften up the VSX's aggressive curve.   I see the eccentric cam on both the VSX and VS is part # 19-16VS so that helps, no?

Has anyone had any experience with this?

alantani

it might be possible to grind down the cam.  changing out the bellevilles is another option and i'd try the bellevilles first.  "()()" might work!  you might also switch out the bellevilles  for something thinner.  that would give you more spring.  bellevilles are measured in terms of inside diameter, outside diameter, thickness, height and deflection.  here's the best company for bellevilles. 

https://www.solonmfg.com/washers
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

TBlever

Thanks for the help, Alan - since I think I will be able to get the reel for a good price (it's on clearance at a place near me), I think I will roll the dice and try some belleville swapping.

Love the site, btw!   Looking forward to participating. I am a big fan of the International baitcasters, which require plenty of TLC and lead to lots of questions!

-Tom B.

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

TBlever

Interesting - I just compared the schematics and the 16VS uses two 12T clutch washers and two 16VS clutch springs in a()() configuration, while the 16VSX uses four VS clutch springs in a (()) configuration, plus 3-5 shims, presumably because the latter config is thinner than the former.  Otherwise, the only differences between the reels are the main gears, shim 8A, the pinion and the tube frame.