Needing 3 Spinning Reels

Started by Rivverrat, August 16, 2017, 04:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Well one spinner down & two more to go. This is a 7500ss.
Never used still in the box. Just did a quick service on it & I don't believe the handle has been turned much if at all on this reel.
I might of paid tad bit much. Especially for a loaner reel for friends when they come out with me. However I'm happy with it.... Jeff.

Rivverrat

Adam, I believe this is one your looking for.

Shark Hunter

The 7500 and 8500 use the same body. The 8500 has a bigger spool and rotor.
Life is Good!

Rivverrat

Daron, I had always thought that but never checked to be sure. My dad reminded I had one these reels years ago. It lived a short life from my abuse. I think this reel based on looking at it's innards & testing the drag,  will live a very long life fishing 40 - 50 lb. line at no more than 15 lbs. of drag.

Shark Hunter

I have few of the 8500's. They are nice with the extra capacity.
Life is Good!

Rivverrat

I noticed line capacity isn't a lot on this reel. Enough for "most" fishing I do.

Daron, will the 8500 spool fit on the 7500 ? ....Jeff

fishgrain

5-7 years ago the industry was blown away when the battle came out as Penn's $100 spinner

they absolutely creamed shimano at this PP at that time
(battle 4 prob one of their highest selling reels of all time)

NOW, Daiwa has IMO raised the bar much higher for a single benjamin with the new BG

all the other MFR's are scratching their heads  ??? ??? wondering how they can top that

the BG is arguably equally as iconic as the good old SS

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Rivverrat on August 25, 2017, 02:51:38 PM
I noticed line capacity isn't a lot on this reel. Enough for "most" fishing I do.

Daron, will the 8500 spool fit on the 7500 ? ....Jeff
Only if you change the rotor too.
Life is Good!

fishgrain

And the bail wire is larger also

24-750 vs 24-850

Shark Hunter

The 8500 is a whole different animal.
One of my favorites.
Rotor, spool and bail.
The rotor keeps the dogs enclosed on this one.

Life is Good!

Rivverrat

Quote from: fishgrain on August 25, 2017, 03:26:19 PM
5-7 years ago the industry was blown away when the battle came out as Penn's $100 spinner

they absolutely creamed shimano at this PP at that time
(battle 4 prob one of their highest selling reels of all time)

NOW, Daiwa has IMO raised the bar much higher for a single benjamin with the new BG

all the other MFR's are scratching their heads  ??? ??? wondering how they can top that

the BG is arguably equally as iconic as the good old SS

I agree with your assessment of the Diawa BG.    After spending time looking into it a bit when you take into account overall function, provided drag & durability one would be hard pressed to do any better than the Diawa BG's for the money.  However for my use I do like the Penn SS models better.... Jeff

Three se7ens

The one thing that bothers me about so many of the daiwa reels is the a/r bearing location.  Most other reels put the a/r bearing in the middle of the pinion, but Daiwa's are on the end of the pinion, exposed to anything that gets under the rotor.