Main Menu

Howdy!

Started by david M, August 16, 2017, 06:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david M

Just saying hello. My name is David. Just joined the group. Screen name is for Tennessee, Washington, and Alaska where I currently live.

In TN I grew up cane pole fishing then enjoyed top water bass and bluegill fishing with fly rod or spinning reels. Oddly I very much enjoy fishing with a bobber and earth worms! Best memories are my dad and I using porcupine quills for bobbers with bluegill! Lol

I didn't fish for a long time and then a friend introduced me to halibut fishing and older Penn reels. We rebuilt a Penn 49 super mariner. I added a Alan Tani handle and 3/0 knob and this reel is amazing. Next thing I know My friend drops off a bucket of old Penn reels. So I've got work to do this winter.

I have an old Zebco ZS3 cheap spinner that I took apart just to see what's inside. I got it back together except I didn't get the anti reverse pawls to engage. It's got my wheels turning and I find it relaxes my mind  think on how this cheap reel works.

The point is I'm just starting to tinker and fish again and thought hanging out here might be fun and useful, especially since the 49 rocks now!

happyhooker

Go for it Mein Kamerad!

Nothing wrong with bluegill & crappie.

Welcome.

Frank

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

Welcome aboard, David!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

bhale1

David (tnwaak)
Welcome!
Nothing wrong with drowning a few words here and there😀. Good way to relax and unwind, and enjoy nature.
Brett

Edit.....meant " drowning a few words"

David Hall

Gotta ask where in Tn did you live?

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Welcome David!
Come on in and sit a spell.

Daron
Life is Good!

david M

David Hall, I grew up in a small town called Kingston. It's where Watts Bar lake and The Tennessee River meet. It is 40 or so miles west of Knoxville. Kingston is not the same as Kingsport which is East of Knoxville.

I appreciate the warm welcome everyone.

Tiddlerbasher

TongassFisher

Welcome David!!!

Trev

Bill B

Good to have you here David.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Keta

Hi, where in AK are you?  My home port was KTN but the 16 state facilities I was responsable for were from Whittier south.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

david M

Sorry for the delayed responses here.

Sal, I lived close to Knoxville Most of my life.

Keta, currently living in Juneau.

festus

Quote from: tnwaak on August 17, 2017, 03:05:48 AM
David Hall, I grew up in a small town called Kingston. It's where Watts Bar lake and The Tennessee River meet. It is 40 or so miles west of Knoxville. Kingston is not the same as Kingsport which is East of Knoxville.

I appreciate the warm welcome everyone.
Welcome, David, I'm about half an hour from Kingston just west of Oliver Springs.  Used to work at the steam plant in the coal analysis lab so I had a birds eye view of "the wall", and saw some monster cats, carp, and stripers come out of there.