Video: PENN Torque II spinning reel

Started by Tunanorth, August 18, 2017, 06:49:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tunanorth

I know, I know, its "just" a spinning reel.
The first time you have a 50-pound yellowfin [or a 150-pound bluefin] blow up on your popper, you will want to get one!

foakes

Thanks, Steve --

What is the story on greasing the Dura-Drag material?

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tunanorth

Quote from: foakes on August 18, 2017, 07:02:20 PM
Thanks, Steve --

What is the story on greasing the Dura-Drag material?

Best,

Fred

Does not need it.
Dura-Drag already has its own proprietary lube applied.
The washers do feel kind of dry to the touch, but "It's in there".

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handi2

Fred the Dura Drag is the same found on the International reels. It does get greased with Cals when I see them or upgrade older reels with them.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

foakes

Yes, Keith --

I also do the exact same thing, using Cal's -- it adds protection, longevity, smoothness, and some water intrusion protection as the reel and seals age.

However, I work it in with my fingers for complete coverage and penetration as good as possible -- then wipe smooth the excess.  It works very well from reports I get.

This is on lever drags, of course...

On star drags, if I get a little too much Cal's in between the stacked washers -- it just gets squeezed out as the drag is applied.

I just wanted to get the official position -- we will still do what we each knows works best for our clients and the reel.

Experience teaches us to continue doing what we know works -- until someone shows us a better way.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Tightlines667

Quote from: foakes on August 18, 2017, 11:19:03 PM
Yes, Keith --

I also do the exact same thing, using Cal's -- it adds protection, longevity, smoothness, and some water intrusion protection as the reel and seals age.

However, I work it in with my fingers for complete coverage and penetration as good as possible -- then wipe smooth the excess.  It works very well from reports I get.

This is on lever drags, of course...

On star drags, if I get a little too much Cal's in between the stacked washers -- it just gets squeezed out as the drag is applied.

I just wanted to get the official position -- we will still do what we each knows works best for our clients and the reel.

Experience teaches us to continue doing what we know works -- until someone shows us a better way.

Best,

Fred

X3

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Newell Nut

I recently acquired a new Torque II 7500 and made no modifications. I sold my original Torque 9 and this one a lot better than the original. Very smooth and glad they got rid of that switch for the bail too. The drag is super smooth too but I only use 30 lb momoi so will never test the full potential of the reel.