Help me choose an Avet!

Started by Jkjhung, August 18, 2017, 11:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jkjhung

I just picked up a Calstar 870C 15-40 rod for my dad.  He's old school and likes the feel of glass instead of graphite.  I want to put a nice Avet on the rod, but I'm having a hard time deciding which one.  The setup will  be used mostly here in NorCal waters.  Salmon, halibut, rockcod/ling.  At first I was pretty set on the SX, but later I felt that it was too small and too light for the rod.  What do you guys think?  Any input will be much appreciated

Keta

The MXJ is my favorit size Avet.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

steelfish

if he likes the glass rods he surely likes to fish with mono too.

so I would go for the Jx still on the small size with plenty of line capacity.

The Baja Guy

akfish

If the SX doesn't balance well, I doubt the MXJ will either. I'd probably go for the MXL or JX. By far the most popular Avet I sell for salmon up here is the MXL.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

alantani

the calstar is a thick rod.  i'd go with the jx. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Jkjhung

Thanks everyone for your input. I will now have to decide between the mx and the jx

Jkjhung

Actually now that I think about it the slightly slower gear ratio of the jX is probably more suitable for what I intend to do with the reel. JX it is

SoCalAngler

The non Raptor SXJ through the MXL all have the same drags and fish up to 30 lb test. The non Raptor JX can fish up to 40 lb test. If I remember correctly the MXL and JX have the same width between the reels bolts, so it will boil down to if you like the feel of a lower profile reel or a larger more narrow spool reel that can handle more drag.

For me I like the smallest reel that can handle what I'm looking to fish with it.

I have a Calstar BWC 970, it's just a little stiffer in the tip than the 870 and it fits the JX fine so it should fit the MXL also. Though my JX is a two speed and it normally rides on a rod Calstar does not make anymore a BWC 6470.

I also have a SX but I can't try the fit right now on the 970 as I head out at 5 AM tomorrow and it's strapped to another rood.  

Edit: the reason I brought up this last point is because I think the SX and MXJ have the same width between the reels bolts.

Jkjhung

I finally mounted a 4.6 JX on the rod and it balances great. Now to find some time to fish the setup. Thanks everyone for the recommendations

David Hall

Oh woah woah woahhold on there bobaloo,  pictures please, let me see that sweet set up.

Keta

Quote from: SoCalAngler on August 23, 2017, 05:08:04 AMb

I also have a SX but I can't try the fit right now on the 970 as I head out at 5 AM tomorrow and it's strapped to another rood.  

Edit: the reason I brought up this last point is because I think the SX and MXJ have the same width between the reels bolts.

The base of the SX is too big for the rods I want to use it on so mine has never been fished.  
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

i think your father will be very happy with this set up.   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Keta on September 06, 2017, 01:50:50 PM
Quote from: SoCalAngler on August 23, 2017, 05:08:04 AMb

The base of the SX is too big for the rods I want to use it on so mine has never been fished.  

Avet use to sell a smaller reel foot for the SX. Not sure if they still do but maybe a call to them and you can mount the SX onto the rods you want?

ez2cdave

Quote from: alantani on September 06, 2017, 04:50:43 PM
i think your father will be very happy with this set up.   ;D

Yep, he should  . . . That is UNLESS Dad is "Old School" like me and prefers a Star Drag reel & Mono !

Tight Lines !

Jkjhung

Finally had some time today for some pics.  Gotta love that honey/ teal colorway.

The reel came spooled with 65lb braid.  I was originally thinking of spooling straight mono, but I think I may just give the braid a shot since it's already on there.