AT.COM MEMBERS GET FIRST SHOT AT NEW LIMITED EDITION TIBURON 349H YOYO SPECIAL!

Started by Vintage Offshore Tackle, August 19, 2017, 12:11:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeysm

All we need now is custom side plates to make everthing complete.

Mike

Tiddlerbasher

Keta

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on August 27, 2017, 04:20:35 PM
Ok got it! I thought you had found a way to install ball bearings ;D

Matching aluminum sideplates would do it....
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tiddlerbasher

mikeysm

This is a fresh change from the jigmaster and 4.0 stuff that saturated the internet. Ebay is flooded with them. Well the 349h frame kits are limited and that will make them more desirable. There is allot of cheap doner reels for parts if you don't own a reel to upgrade.

Mike

Tiddlerbasher

Mike - Do you have any outer rings for a 349HC? I'm looking for good chrome and no splits. The ones I have I can work with BUT for this project I was hoping for better.
If you do let me know what you want for them (incl. shipping to the UK)

mikeysm

I have been trying to find some myself. i have everything else but the rings. If I find some I will let you know.

Mike

Tiddlerbasher

Keta

I could use 1 NOS handle side ring too.  If I find any rings I will PM both of you.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tiddlerbasher

Tiddlerbasher

While waiting for stuff to arrive I decided to try a couple of mods.
Mod 1 - filed two small notches in the right hand side plate to allow the eared drag washers to pass in and out - 1st photo.
Mod 2 - Cut a 32mm (1.25) washer out of .25mm (0.010") thick Teflon. This fits nicely under the sleeve. It helps reduce friction/wear - maybe :-\  Photos 2 and 3.

This was in addition to the now standard practice of delrin under gear and top of stack washers.

Tiddlerbasher

Building the drag stack - problems.
The grooves (for eared washers) in the main gear are nowhere near deep enough.
I had to use one of the original thick brass washers on top of 2 carbon fibre washers to get the eared washer to fit without bottoming out.
Then I found that the top eared washer (Keta 5 stack) wouldn't fit in the grooves.
So I cut 2 thin 0.5mm (0.020") cf washers to replace the standard ones - now the eared washer fits :)
The whole drag assembly was tested dry - and is working fine.

Thanks to Lee it now has a stainless dog and new spring :)

Keta

I do not like to modify unreplaceable parts, even like making the groove in the main gear deeper and here is what I do.

Thicker botom CF washer (.040" I think), .045" keyed washer, thicker CF washer,.035" eared washer then .035" CF and either .035 or .045 metal washers to finish the stack.  I have had to bend the ears on the bottom eared washer a few times, and cut some with longer ears but it was a PIA fitting them with 1-1/2 good hands.  It is nice to have drag  washers of varing thicknesses when adjusting a drag stack. 

Mark Twain

Tiddlerbasher

Lee - your combination wouldn't have worked  on my maingear.
I had to use 2 .040" carbontex, 1 original brass .060", 1 .040" carbontex then the stainless eared washer - and it still only just worked.
The original lower washers totalled .25" thickness :o

If I could have found a way to increase the depth of the grooves it would have been a more elegant solution.

Keta

Some people can do a good job with a Dremel, I can't.  The best way involves a mill.

Mark Twain