Double Dog 112H

Started by Bill B, August 19, 2017, 03:53:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

Got bit by the Double Dog Bug and pulled a 112H off the shelf.  I going to blame Salty Dog and Daron (Shark Hunter) for this one  ;)  Salty Dog hot rodded a 112H a while ago and Daron....well what has he NOT double Dogged  ;D ;D...So I read and re-read many threads on the final products and came up with my version....heavily relying the original work of others...including the Sal the Godfather  8).

So I scribbed my outline and chucked a mill bit from my rotary tool in a drill press and using a drill press vice to hold the side plate, set my depth...

Carefully milled away the un-needed plate material....

Using a small burr bit milled the slot for the dog spring...oooops no picture of that procedure, but my bit is rounded so I could not get a flat bottom in the dog spring slot.  So I ground the point on a 1/8" drill bit flat and used it as a milling bit to flatten the bottom of the dog spring slot....All the milling was done on the drill press using the vise to keep a constant depth

Cut some brass sheet and fabricated a dog spring...

Using a stock 15-309 dog ground the profile and trimmed to make alternating dogs on the 112H.....I chose alternating dogs because the 112H is plenty strong enough for this type of function and I wanted less handle backlash....

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

swill88

Thanks Bill. Great pics and you make it look so easy.

I've got to do this.

Steve

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

mo65

Great work Bill! I bet she sounds sweet. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Cortez_Conversions

Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

MarkT

You could put a SS 10 tooth gear sleeve in there and get even less backplay.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Gfish

Cool! Bill, what'sa source for the brass sheet? Isit better'n the material penn uses in the oldies?
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Bill B

Thanks for the kind words....this had been in the back of my mind for quite awhile.....Next purchase just may well be the 10 tooth sleeve and then a frame for the ultimate in strength.....when listening to the dogs click it sounds kind of lopsided due to the thick brass leaf spring and the original smaller coil spring....may try to do something about that....maybe another leaf spring or bigger coil  ???  Not really sure which way to go......GFish not sure where the brass sheet came from it was in a box of old scrap I got from my father in law, but I hear a craft store such as Michael's, Hobby Lobby or a big box home store may have it....mine measures 0.025" (0.70mm) and is pretty stout, could probably use a thinner stock and be just as good.....Bill

Shark Hunter

Great work Billy Boy!
If you sand that piece of brass thinner on a belt sander, it will give it more spring, and the sound you are looking for.
I now use stainless exclusively for my dog springs. I sand down wiper inserts on a table top belt sander.

Life is Good!

Tiddlerbasher

Alto Mare

Great job Bill! that grinding job is much better than mine...cool beans!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bill B

Thank you again....if it was not for the trail blazing done, people like me would never be able to do this kind of work....Daron if you get a chance could you give me the thickness you sand your SS done to?  I started to use SS wiper blades but never got to a point I thought it would work, probably did not go thin enough....interesting that the thinner it is the more "spring" it has....the brass sheet I used has enough, if I can get a better product going thinner I will do that....Bill

Dominick

Hey Bill tht is one neat job.  I bet it is good to be home in your own work place.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

mhc

Very tidy work with the end mill cutter and good job all round. With the sound, I don't mind the dogs having slightly different noise, it's easy to tell both are still working.
Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Bill B

I was really limited in what I could do in the Redneck Condo....wrapping a rod was about the most technical I could do...really was a drag having each end of the rod hanging out either side of the trailer  ;D..been working on a display case that should be ready to show soon.....the wife even picked it out for me...Wooohooo because she has better taste in furniture than I do....Bill