Garcia Mitchell 303 question

Started by birdfin, August 19, 2017, 09:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

birdfin

i'm working on resurrecting an old 303 from EBay.  It came with a 50s vintage manual and has a 6-digit serial number.  I know it needs a new cam ring.  Would that make it so the anti-reverse doesn't work?

Birdfin

foakes

Quote from: birdfin on August 19, 2017, 09:13:18 PM
i'm working on resurrecting an old 303 from EBay.  It came with a 50s vintage manual and has a 6-digit serial number.  I know it needs a new cam ring.  Would that make it so the anti-reverse doesn't work?

Birdfin

Could be a few things, BF --

But likely not the cam ring --

The Anti-Reverse dog, dog spring, and dog cam are more likely -- these typically get hardened grease that stops the A/R operation.  Then it will also cause parts to become distorted, or not make proper contact.

One of these may be the culprit -- a good inspection and cleaning will reveal this to you.

The spring and cam are specific to a 303 -- since it is a left-handed reel with the crank on the right side -- and the rotation is opposite from a 302.

Check it out and let us know -- these are pretty simple reels to diagnose.  Could be something more weird -- but we will be glad to help with what you find.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

[/quote] Could be a few things, BF --

But likely not the cam ring --

The Anti-Reverse dog, dog spring, and dog cam are more likely -- these typically get hardened grease that stops the A/R operation.  Then it will also cause parts to become distorted, or not make proper contact.

One of these may be the culprit -- a good inspection and cleaning will reveal this to you.

Best,

Fred
[/quote]

X2
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)