The 9/0's turn

Started by The Great Maudu, August 21, 2017, 12:30:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Great Maudu

Sure Fred, which 3 would you like?

oc1

Before roto-molded kayaks and such auto inner tubes were used to take baits out.  A fancy one would have a piece of netting tied in the donut hole.  Walk it out through the surf then jump on with the bait in your lap and do the back stroke.  Canvas air mattresses came along soon and they could be paddled prone for more power and speed.
-steve

The Great Maudu

Had the 9/0's back out on the beach tonight. Using a Spanish for bait she caught earlier, Julia caught a nice 4' Black Tip. I had two good runs on the OC Cradle reel but no hook ups. I need to have some work done on the Cradle drags.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

The Great Maudu

Tonight we were back on the beach for sharking action. The weather was awful. Chilly, rainy and windy. Pretty heavy surf and a strong westerly current. We have two blues we caught earlier in the day for bait. Again, no kayak so I'm the bait delivery system. My hope is to catch a shark on the Ocean City 9/0 Cradle reel with the split bamboo tip. I have tried for two years but no luck. I ran the OC bait out first and using a 6 oz sinker it miraculously held the bait in neck deep water. I then ran the Penn's bait out and it wouldn't holt with the same weight. About 45 minutes into it the Ocean City's drag started screaming and the bamboo tip was pointing to the horizon. A good strong hook set and the battle was on. The Black Tip thrashed the surfaced of the water like a large mouth bass will do. It was all for naught as he was beached within 10 minutes. Finally, I caught a nice fish with the Cradle Reel. It will probably be retired when I get back home.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

RowdyW

Daron, Mike is setting the bar pretty high. It's time to catch up.  ;D  ;D

Tightlines667

Well done!

That must be satisfying to catch one on that classic gear!

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

Quote from: RowdyW on August 30, 2017, 04:30:31 AM
Daron, Mike is setting the bar pretty high. It's time to catch up.  ;D  ;D
Very High Rudy! :o
Mike has a few advantages.
He has his own Condo in Paradise, and he doesn't work for the Man Like I do.
I'm not making excuses and am not Jealous one tiny bit.
I am Very Happy for him. Happy that I serviced that reel and it performed flawlessly to Catch that Fish of a Lifetime.
That's enough credit for me right there.
Even more So to see Him and Julia doing what Dreams are made of.
I know they work hard just like me.
What Goes around, Comes Around. ;)
My Time will come.
Life is Good!

oc1

So Mike, is every week like this for you?  Very well done.
-steve

The Great Maudu

First of all I'm not setting the height of any bar for anyone to compete against. It's been two years since I caught a shark down here so my bar is like limbo champion height, lol.   I just happened to be in the right place at the right time. I did my due diligence and now the numbers are just evening out. Trust me, I'm not posting pics of fish to flaunt success. In fact if it wasn't for the Shark Hunter and his help, advice and support I wouldn't be using gear capable of handling some of these sharks. He has given freely of his time and vast knowledge to help me be a better fisherman and I have the utmost respect for him. In fact, every reel I'm using has his fingerprints all over it. So whatever height the supposed bar is set at Shark Hunter helped set it. It's a testament to his skills with these reels. Shark Hunter will come down here and do what the Shark Hunter does and that is fish hard with state of the art equipment. He Has already set a bar so high that few can ever hope to surpass it. Plus he's my friend and that sums it all up.

thorhammer

Good job Mike! I'd think if you didn't post pics you'd get a real rash of it from us!

How big is the OC? Comparable to 9/0? Very cool to show the old warrior still has it!!

John

The Great Maudu

The OC is a 9/0 size. They're built like a tank.

thorhammer

The Great Maudu

Here's a short video of Julia bringing a nice Black Tip with the Shark Hunter maxed out 9/0 Senator. All the parts are from the Alan Tani group of masters. We have another sharker among us.